Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an HP Pavillion p7-1410 desktop running 64-bit Windows 8. The power management is at its default configuration.  When I try to wake up the computer after it went into standby mode, the computer comes out of it but the display stays dark.  I know for sure that the computer itself is awake, as I can access remotly its hard drive.  But nothing that I do wakes the display.  The only option that works for me is a hard-reset.  Anybody knows how to fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The problem went away after the update of the system to Windows 8.1

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hello DarkScreen,

I understand that your display is not working after sleep mode.

First check to make sure that there are only two cables going to the back of the monitor.

There should be a display cable and the power cable.

If the cables are correct, turn off the computer.
As you turn it back on tap the F10 key. This will load BIOS setup utility.
Press F9 to load defaults.
Press F10 to save and exit.

When the computer boots back up, check to see if everything is working.

Let me know how everything goes.

HP Recommended

Hi Anthony,

I have tried your proposed solution a couple of days ago and it seems to solve the problem.  I'll wait a few more days to see that the problem does not return.  If it doesn't, I will mark your response as the solution to this problem.  Thanks!

Gideon

HP Recommended

DarkScreen,

You’re welcome.

I’m glad to hear that everything is working.

Let me know if anything changes.

HP Recommended

Sorry to inform you that the problem returned.  Same exact symptoms.  Any ideas where to take it from here?

HP Recommended

DarkScreen,

Sorry to hear that the problem came back.

Reset the monitor.

Unplug the power cord and hold down the power button for 15 sec.

Your monitor should have come with two cables a DVI (white end) and VGA (blue end).

Try which ever cable that you are not using.

Also go back to power management and set defaults again.

HP Recommended

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for your help.  I have done most of what you proposed.  I could not, however, switch from DVI to VGA as this specific HP desktop does not have VGA output.  It does have two DVI connectors, so I connected the monitor to the second one - maybe this will do the trick.  We'll have to give it a few days and see if the problem is solved.

Best regards,

Gideon

HP Recommended

DarkScreen,

Sound’s good.

I’ll keep an eye out for your post.

HP Recommended

Anthony,

My computer is acting again.  It is stuck in this mode right now - it is out of standby but the screen is dark.  I tried to power cycle the disply but it made no difference.  The desktop's blue light is on, I can hear the fans and I can access the hard drive of that computer from another PC, so I know that it is out of standby mode.

Any other ideas beyond restarting the PC by pressing the power button for 10 seconds?

Best regards,

Gideon

HP Recommended

DarkScreen,

You’re going to have to hold down the power button to turn back on the computer.

Here is a link to a document that will walk you through some steps to trouble shoot the issue.

You have integrated graphics so you won’t need to reseat the graphics.

One thing that it does not mention is a refresh, here is a link to a document that will explain and walk you through the steps of a refresh.

If you’re still having the problem and you have to have the computer serviced.

Here is a link to a number to call HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.