Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Slimline s5-1414
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to add a second generic lcd monitor (NEC) to this pc.  I am already using the adapter that came with the computer in the VGA. I still have a DVI port available. In looking at adapters I have no clue as to what adapter I need to buy to connect to my PC.  Can anyone tell me what to buy or if this cannot be done? Thank you very much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Procats, welcome to the forum.

Here are the Back I/O ports on the computer:

1. Figure : Back I/O ports Image of the back I/O ports
  2. USB 2.0: 4
  3. LAN (Ethernet)
  4. DVI-D
  5. DVI-I
  6. Audio center/subwoofer
  7. Audio rear speaker out
  8. Audio side speaker out
  9. Audio line-in
  10. Audio line-out
  11. Microphone

As you can see, Item 4 is DVI-D (Digital only) and Item 5 is DVI-I (Digital and Analog).  The adapter that you will need depends on the cable on the monitor and which of the ports that you used for the first monitor; Item 4 or 5.  If the monitor has a VGA cable, you would buy a VGA to DVI-? adapter.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Procats, welcome to the forum.

Here are the Back I/O ports on the computer:

1. Figure : Back I/O ports Image of the back I/O ports
  2. USB 2.0: 4
  3. LAN (Ethernet)
  4. DVI-D
  5. DVI-I
  6. Audio center/subwoofer
  7. Audio rear speaker out
  8. Audio side speaker out
  9. Audio line-in
  10. Audio line-out
  11. Microphone

As you can see, Item 4 is DVI-D (Digital only) and Item 5 is DVI-I (Digital and Analog).  The adapter that you will need depends on the cable on the monitor and which of the ports that you used for the first monitor; Item 4 or 5.  If the monitor has a VGA cable, you would buy a VGA to DVI-? adapter.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

I definitely have my main monitor on what you have as number 4 with an adapter that came with the computer.  However the one you have as #3 definitely says DVI and looks like what you have down as #3.  Do I have this wrong?  The second monitor I am trying to set up has a smaller plug with the usual prongs and without the - below where the prongs would go.  Thank you so very much for replying.  Very frustrating when you don't know what is what.  Always learning though.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Procats.

I don't have any #3.  I have a #5 which is the DVI-I.

What is the connector on the monitor cable; VGA, DVI, etc.?  This is important to assure we get the correct adapter.

@Procats wrote:

Always learning though.  This is very important!  I have been using computers for 25+ years.  I can definitely say that I am always learning.  The component manufacturers keep developing new products frequently.

HP Recommended

I wanted to thank you (even though some time has passed) for your help on setting up my dual monitor.  My mother got ill and passed away and I was unable to get back online and thank you for your help.  What you sent me has been a learning experience and did help. Thanks again. Procats

HP Recommended

You are very welcome!

I am so sorry for your loss, @Procats.  You have my sincerest condolences.

I am glad that my information helped solve your problem.  I am always glad to help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.