Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Just purchased Pavilion S5650Z desktop w/ ATI Radeon HD 5450 video card.  Have two ViewSonic 24" monitors (VX2450-LED) that am attempting to setup for a dual monitor display.  The monitors have a VGA and DVI connection only.  I have used a pigtail converter that is plugged into the HDMI output of the video card which allows me to use a DVI cable to the monitor.  This works perfectly.  My problem is that the DVI cable I have will not send any signal from the video card to my monitor.  I have swapped all the cables around so I know the problem is not in the cable or monitor.  I have been successful in getting a video signal to the second monitor by using a VGA cable w/ a DVI adapter.  So, in practice, I do have a dual monitor display up and running.  What is bothering me is why the DVI cable will not work with the second monitor.  Could it be that my cable supports DVI in a digital format only but the DVI output on the Radeon HD 5450 is analog?  Or, will the the video card only support one digital output at a time so my use of the HDMI port has relegated the DVI port to analog only?  I am guessing at this point.  I have tried to research this matter on the internet with no success so I hope you can enlighten me.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This article might be helpful.  Go to the ATI web site and download thelatest video card driver.

HDMI to DVI is strickly digital so that works as you stated.  Review this article on DVI.

Don't try to use the motherboard video ports with a discrete video card.  They will not work

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

the card will not support 2 digital connection together. you need to use one digital and one analog connection.

I think the analog connection does not differmuch from dvi is smallerdistance and in small desktop screens.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.