Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z200 Small Form Factor Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I have hooked up two monitors to my workstation with intergrated graphics but when I go to project and click extend nothing happens and it is duplicating the screens and not extending.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Ok.

I still recommend a low profile video card with dual or triple video outputs. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Gamers-inc wrote:

Hello I have hooked up two monitors to my workstation with intergrated graphics but when I go to project and click extend nothing happens and it is duplicating the screens and not extending.

Are you using the following method?

Hold down the Windows key and tap the P key. Use the mouse to put the cursor an Extend and give it a left-click.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Yes I am. It is odd, when I turn on my 2nd monitor on along with my main it puts the resolution for my 2nd display and won't extend any display but will duplicate the both and that's it.

HP Recommended

How are the displays connected to the workstation? 

Which graphics card and which port types?

HP Recommended

They are connected with a VGA splitter to split the signal with integrated graphics no dedicated card with an Intel i3 550. 

HP Recommended

Aha!

All a splitter will do is duplicate what is coming from the port.

That is why all you get is a duplicated image of what the notebook's display is showing.

HP Recommended

So how do I get dual monitors on my workstation to work?

HP Recommended

Two replies back I asked you a critical question.

Please answer it so I will know how your system is configured.

HP Recommended

I have a VGA I/O

HP Recommended

You will need a video card if you want to run two displays.

One of these compatible cards will suffice.

Professional 2D
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295 256MB PCIe Graphics Card
Entry 3D
  • NVIDIA Quadro FX 380 LP 512MB PCIe Graphics Card

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.