Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
ENVY 23
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have never tried to use my HDMI "in" port so far.

I wish to use my ENVY monitor as a second (larger) screen for my laptop. 

I conneted an HDMI cable from my laptop (DELL Latitude) to the HDMI port on the left (bottom) side of the ENVY 23 monitor,

Played with the "HDMI in" button at the bottom (left) of ENV>Y 23 monitor,

Nothing happens, no menu shows up on my HP screen, NOTHING!

On my DELL:

- I can go into advanced display setting and it will show  two screens are connected (Screen 2: HP All-in-One), but I can't get it to toggle,

- Likewise, sound settings allows me to select HP All-in-One ouput, but no sound will be played on the HP.

I ran all possible hardware diagnostics using the HP tool, all came back good.

Onbviously my Dell laptop recognizes my HP Envy All in One, but that's as far as they will go in the way of collaborating.

Can you help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Franklinmich   Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support and we appreciate your patience.

That said, here's what you need to know about using the HDMI-in port:

CAUTION: 

When the system is in Display mode, the computer is still running in the background. The keyboard and mouse are active and still control the computer. To avoid making unwanted changes to open files on your computer, it is recommended that you save and close all files before connecting to the HDMI ports.

Use your HP ENVY Recline TouchSmart 23 or 27 All-in-One to play games, watch movies, and more. Use an HDMI cable to connect with devices that display HDMI, such as game consoles, DVD players, or Android devices, and then switch the computer from PC mode to HDMI mode (it does not support laptop connection)

For more details: click here

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us, 

have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Riddle_Decipher,

Thank you for your response.

I was under the impression that I could use my monitor as a second (larger) monitor to my laptop.

See below a video introducing this feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj6xeyrCGo0

You stat e(and so does the usual manual)that one should be able to connect game consoles and DVD players,  you seem to indicate this HDMI does not support laptop connection.

Is this really the case? And why so?

Thank you.

Patrick

HP Recommended

@Franklinmich Yes, I'm afraid you are right, the device cannot be used as an external monitor via a laptop as it isn't mentioned in any of the HP articles, however, you can attempt the below steps and let me know if it helps:

Some All-In-Ones will display the signal immediately, while others may require you to press the "Display Source" button,

sometimes labeled "HDMI" or "Input Switch."

• If your All-In-One does not have an HDMI-In port, it may have another type of input, such as DisplayPort or USB-C.
  • The source button is sometimes located on the bottom or back of the computer.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.