Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
elitedisplay s340c
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I am connecting my 13" macbook pro to the screen via USB-c and it's not charging the laptop but also the the battery is not going down. 

When I connect it to a windows laptop the same problem exists. 

I am not sure if it is some power delivery driver issue or the usb-c connection is faulty. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I too have this problem. My monitor won’t charge my MacBook. Does anyone have experience with this problem and willing to suggest anything that I haven't tried below?

What works: Video, Audio, and Data works. The MacBook’s battery icon shows that the laptop is charging (thunderbolt symbol with white filled background inside the battery icon), but the percentage never goes up, even when the laptop just sits there idle with the screen on.

Monitor used: 

-HP EliteDisplay s340c 34” Curved Monitor (The User Guide Pg. 2 says this monitor is capable of power delivery up to 65W. The monitor also comes with a USB hub in the back with 2 USB-A ports.)

Laptops tested on: 

-MacBook Pro 15” (2016)

-MacBook Pro 15” (2019)

-MacOS Mojave 10.14.5

USB-C cables tested with:

-Anker USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 (60W) $12

-Anker USB-C to USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 (100W) $20

I have searched HPs forums for all of the suggested solutions and tried most of them. The most promising solution seems to be purchasing NOT a Thunderbolt cable, but a USB-C 3.1 cable rated at exactly 60W. That did not work for me. I tried one rated at 100W as well. Anker seems like a reliable charging cable company, so I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. The only solutions left I haven’t tried is using a Thunderbolt cable ($30) and HP’s official cable that did not come with the monitor, which I have no idea where to purchase.

I have read the thread about Unqualified USB-C error and USB-C cable recommendation for a solution as these look the most promising but to no avail. I'm going to try and contact HP, but don't really feel like spending $30 on an Anker Thunderbolt cable that most likely won't charge my MacBook.

Update: I just visited the HP Parts Store. The OEM cable is sold for $70! That's insane considering it doesn't work to charge my laptop.

I tried to contact HP via chat. The directed me to the HP Parts Store. I tried to chat with them there, they told me the part I wanted is not available and then directed me to HP official store. They gave me a number to call and said they would help me find a compatible cable. Ugh, the last thing I need is to call and have them direct me again or not be able to help.

HP Recommended

I tried  thunderbolt as well no use. Since mine is 13" the power stays or charges when the device is turned off.  I got in touch with Hp support and got the official part no for the cable. 

Part number: 908668-001

Description: Full USB3.1Gen1 CM-CM 3A 1

They also gave the contact for the local vendor. But the cost is around 100USD so I didn't buy it.

Also, did you manage to use the webcam with facetime? 

HP Recommended

I found the same cable in HP Parts Store for a little cheaper. However, at that price, I rather buy an extra official Apple charger and a docking hub. There is absolutely no reason to buy that HP cable at that price. With the chance that it MIGHT NOT even work. I really wish I didn't lose that USB-C cable that came with the monitor so I can stop wondering if it ever even worked.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 2.29.18 PM.png

On the topic of the webcam though. I did have trouble getting the monitor’s webcam to work, but surprisingly, it all of a sudden just works without me doing anything. I will, however, re-account what I did to make it work when it was being absolutely a pain in the ass.

To spare you from all the misery I went through, I’ll tell you the solution I found for my particular problem (FaceTime was just showing a black screen). I first had to launch Photo Booth or any other software that is able to use the monitor’s webcam successfully. I think this tricks the laptop into recognizing the webcam. Then I launched FaceTime, went to the menu bar and selected Video->HP HD Camera and it works (I never got HP IR Camera to work. It just keeps on flashing/strobing like some horror film)!

I was using a MacBook Air 13” (2017) with macOS Mojave 10.14.5 during the time the monitor webcam wasn't working. The Air didn’t have any USB-C ports, so I was using a USB-A to USB-B 3.0 cable to hook up the laptop to the monitor. I was using a standard HDMI to Thunderbolt 2 cable. This laptop probably contributed to the issue, but now that I use MacBook Pros, I have yet to encounter that problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.