Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 23
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Screen had gone black

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@Rbphillips,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I understand you are having issues with the computer not booting to Windows anymore. Don't worry I'll be really glad to assist you with this.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

What is the product number of the PC? Use this link to find it:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03754824  (Ensure you do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc...).

Have you recently made any software or hardware changes on the PC before the issue started?

Was there any update which was interrupted?

Have you tried to connect an alternate monitor or TV?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here: 

Perform a Hard reset on the PC

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Next thing, I would suggest here is to check if this issue started after an update, then I would suggest you try these steps below: 

The computer may appear to hang during start up. It displays a black screen with a static cursor (not flashing) for anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes and then proceeds to the Windows desktop. This begins to occur after Windows Update has run and will happen every time the computer starts.

NOTE: Information in this document applies to HP consumer desktop and notebook computers that shipped with Microsoft Windows 10 RS2 installed.

If the issue has already occurred (stopped at black screen), recover as follows:

1. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL keys.

2. Click Task Manager.

3. Click the Services tab.

4. Locate and right-click App Readiness in the Name column.

5. Select Stop from the menu.

6. Follow the steps under Prevention to prevent the issue.

Prevention

Prevent this issue as follows:

1. Install HP Image Enhancement for System Logon using SoftPaq SP82019.

2. Install all available Windows updates.

If the steps didn't work, use the below links for further assistance:  

HP All-in-One Desktop PCs - Computer Starts but Monitor/Screen Remains Blank (Windows 😎

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.