Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1045 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I recently changed my motherboard from HP Pavilion p7-1045 Desktop (Carmel Motherboard) to HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1110 Desktop PC ( IPISB-CU (Carmel2) motherboard because the p7-1045 one got fried. I also upgraded the cpu from I5-2390T to I7-2600 which is the maximum for the carmel 2 motherboard along with a new 500 watt power supply. Everything works great and better, but now I find my GPU slow. The Gpu I have is AMD Radeon HD 6450, the original one of the p7-1045

I would like to know if the Hp NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 PCI-E GDDR5 1.5GB x16 would be fine since I have one collecting dust and if so, what procedure to install it and what drivers for it? I'm running windows 10 (64bit)

If its not compatible with the new motherboard or pc, what would be the best one I can put in according to the specs I have.

Thanks, Ed

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Eddy_E,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel.  I see from your post you need information and assistance related to upgrading the graphics card on your HP PC. Don't worry we'll work together to help you find a solution.

I did go through the specifications of both the products and here's are few findings: 

HP Pavilion p7-1045 Desktop PC - Motherboard Specifications, (Carmel)

According to the motherboard specifications, this PC has one PCI Express x16 slot available for the graphics card. 

HP Pavilion Slimline s5-1110 Desktop PC - Motherboard Specifications, IPISB-CU (Carmel2)

According to this motherboard specifications, this PC has One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 PCI-E GDDR5 1.5GB x16 - Unfortunately you cannot upgrade to NVIDIA as the system board you have replaced has a bus support of 2.0 however the card requires PCI express 3.0 For more details, please click here for the link.

If you wish to try other parts you can try it at your own discretion, HP Doesn't recommend any upgrade/downgrade of any hardware parts or software that is bundled with the product. It may affect the manufacturer's warranty and performance. 

I hope this answers your question, do let me know if you need any further assistance.

that said, If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again, thanks for the reply. I ommited to mention that the new GPU which is a HP NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 PCI-E GDDR5 1.5GB x16 taken from HP ENVY h8xt. Would it work and how to install if it does. If not, what would you recommend as replacement GPU? We can forget the pc warrenty since its been over for a while now. I just want to keep this pc running top notch for a while since I have no intention of replacing it for a few years. Thanks, waiting for a reply. Ed

HP Recommended

@Eddy_E,

Thank you for replying,

As I understand you would like to know if you can upgrade the graphics card to NVIDIA, as mentioned in the previous post that you cannot upgrade to NVIDIA as the system board you have replaced has a bus support of 2.0

If you wish you can try at your own discretion, you have already upgraded the power supply to 500 watts. 

I hope this answers your question and let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, since I cannot upgrade to nvidia because of bus support 2.0, what would be the best GPU or Videocard that would be supported?

HP Recommended

@Eddy_E,

It's great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

As I understand you would like to know what type of graphics card will fit into this PC.

As I mentioned in the previous post there is One PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0), you can look for the graphics card which support PCI Express x16 Gen 2.0 and since you already have a power supply which is 500 watts. 

For some reason if you find any difficulty finding the right part for your PC, I would suggest you can take the help of the local store or from Best buy or geeks squad. 

I hope this answers your question and Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.
And mark my post as Accepted Solution to help others find a similar solution as you have.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂
Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.