Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Trying to connect an hp monitor to my Lenovo windows 7 computer. The monitor was my son's and he had it connected to an hp computer that had been upgraded to windows 10. I'm getting an "input signal out of range" error and am advised to change settings to 1600x900-60Hz. It is currently H=68.6  V=85Hz. Where do I change these settings? Previously I've just connected any monitor to a computer with no problem. Is it the difference in the windows version? Thanks for any help.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@merryld,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you facing issues connecting your monitor to the laptop.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the exact model for the monitor?

1. Meanwhile, to change the resolution, follow the below steps Choose Start→Control Panel→Appearance and Personalization and click the Adjust Screen Resolution link. ...
  2. In the resulting Screen Resolution window, click the arrow to the right of the Resolution field. ...
  3. Use the slider to select a higher or lower resolution. ...
  4. Click Apply.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The model is S2031. The highest the range slider goes is 1280x1024. The monitor cuts off pretty quickly when trying to adjust any settings and there's a large pop-up in the center of the screen saying settings are wrong and I can't move it.

HP Recommended

Also it's a desktop not a laptop.

HP Recommended

@merryld,

Thank you for information.

The maximum resolution supported by the monitor is 1600 x 900. I recommend you set the suggested resolution and check.

Below is the link to my first reply.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/Getting-input-signal-out-of-range-erro...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That didn't help. It says "input signal out of range, reset to 1600x900-60Hz" and I don't know what this is or how to change it.

HP Recommended

@merryld It's highly possible the monitor in use does not support the resolution you prefer, does it work fine on lower resolutions? If it doesn't, and if the cable in use is HDMI: click here to troubleshoot, if that's been done and yet it doesn't work, on you have other type of video cable connection, try the below steps:

Before you begin

Do the following things to prepare for troubleshooting:

• Turn off the computer.

• Disconnect all connected devices from the computer except the mouse, and keyboard. This includes removing web cameras, USB devices, thumb drives, camera-type memory cards, and other displays.

• If the display has a detachable cable, obtain a second display cable for testing purposes.

• Disconnect the display power cable, wait about 30 seconds, reconnect the cable and then turn on the display. This resets the electronics on the display. Make sure the display has power and the power light comes on when the power button is pressed. If the light on the display remains off, the display is not receiving power from either the wall outlet or the power adapter.

At first setup, or under certain signal conditions, the display might not be able to switch to a new display resolution. Do not shut down or restart the computer. Instead, perform the following steps:

You should see the image from the computer on the screen. If not, continue with the troubleshooting.

On-screen message shows on the display

Use the following steps to see if a built-in on-screen message is displayed.

1. Connect the video cable and turn on the computer.

2. Turn on the display and wait about ten seconds while the computer starts.

3. While the computer is starting, disconnect the video cable. What happens?

• If a message is displayed, the display panel is working and the problem is related to the video signal. For further troubleshooting steps, see HP support document, Flat Panel Monitor Displays Message about No Signal, Signal out of Range, Sleep, or Power Save.

• If the display remains blank, turn off the computer and continue troubleshooting.

• Some displays do not have on-screen messages but instead use the lights to indicate no signal. When you disconnect the cable, instead of an on-screen message, the light turns amber, indicating that the display lost signal and is working properly, but is out of range, or not receiving the signal.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Restart the computer, and while it is restarting, press F8 until the Startup menu appears. Press 3, and then press ENTER to start the computer in Safe mode. Right-click the desktop, click Properties, and then click Settings. Click Advanced, click Adapter, and then click Adapter Default from the Refresh Rate list. official site

HP Recommended

I've tried just about everything suggested but the resolution is still not right. I don't understand why connecting a monitor to a desktop is this difficult. Is the message (input signal out of range, reset to 1600x900-60Hz) coming from the computer or from the monitor? Is the problem because the monitor is an HP and computer is Lenovo? In trying the different suggestions I've somehow (don't know how), got the setting to be 1024x768 and I can view desktop without monitor turning off now but the icons are stretched and don't appear correct. It's not a HDMI cable. The computer worked fine with a Dell monitor and didn't require any adjustments. I would really appreciate some insight as to what it is I'm trying to do to correct the issue. Thanks for any guidance.

HP Recommended

Pressed F8 repeatedly but wouldn't go into safe mode.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.