Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion model p7-1225
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My desktop is an HP Pavilion p7-1225 with Windows 10 OS.  Going through HP normal support channels doesn't get me very far because their don't even have the Windows 10 OS listed as a choice so I can't get past the first page.

It seems MS is constantly updating their OS.  After one of them, the graphics in MS Excel 2016 Pro has been goofy.  Specifically, what's bugging me is a row will sporadically show up as a duplicated half row between it and the next row.  Kind of hard to explain.  This makes viewing and working with the spreadsheet impossible.   To have it display correctly I must page up or page down and it will go away, temporarily.

Another forum suggested updating my graphics card drivers.  

First, I need help finding what drivers I'm currently using before downloading anything.

And then, finding what the current version is and if it's more recent than what I have where I can download the most current drivers.

I know, it's a lot to ask.  Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!!!!

Thank you,

BH

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, @BJaneH :

WAWood is correct.

Unfortunately, the only way you can get a W10 driver for the graphics adapter your PC has, is via Windows Update.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/APU-Win10-WDDM1-2-Driver.aspx

Most likely your PC already has this update but you can check for updates as follows...

Be connected to the internet.

Go to the device manager.  Click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Radeon HD graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the automatic driver search option and windows will search for an updated driver.

This may take several minutes, so wait until Windows Update finds, downloads and installs a newer graphics driver, or reports that the best driver is already installed.

Another alternative would be to invest <$40 and purchase a graphics card that works with W10.

For a PC such as yours, I might recommend the AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card, or the nVidia GeForce GT 610.

I just don't know much about installing graphics cards in HP Consumer desktops, but those have a good chance of working.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

BJaneH

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

I wish I had good news for you -- but I don't ...

I have a desktop that has been running Win10 since the very first days of the Insider Program, meaning that I have updated it LOTS of times -- and always, without any problems. But, like so many other systems, it also FAILED the Anniversary Update.

Some tech forums are reporting that the failure rate after this update exceeds the reports of successes -- as this is, for all intents and purposes, installing a NEW version of Win10, not just a bunch of updates.

And, to compound the problems with YOUR PC, while Win8.1 drivers tend to work well in Win10, the same can not be said for Win8 drivers -- and unfortunately, HP does not make any newer drivers for your PC.  If you want to TRY installing HP Win8 drivers, I can provide you instructions -- but it is a LOT of work, with no guarantee of success.

So basically, without HP Win10 drivers for your PC, unless some Provost comes along with drivers they have found for your PC, basically, it's never going to work properly anymore under Win10.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hi, @BJaneH :

WAWood is correct.

Unfortunately, the only way you can get a W10 driver for the graphics adapter your PC has, is via Windows Update.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/APU-Win10-WDDM1-2-Driver.aspx

Most likely your PC already has this update but you can check for updates as follows...

Be connected to the internet.

Go to the device manager.  Click to expand the Display Adapters device manager category.

Click on the Radeon HD graphics adapter listed there.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the automatic driver search option and windows will search for an updated driver.

This may take several minutes, so wait until Windows Update finds, downloads and installs a newer graphics driver, or reports that the best driver is already installed.

Another alternative would be to invest <$40 and purchase a graphics card that works with W10.

For a PC such as yours, I might recommend the AMD Radeon HD 6450 graphics card, or the nVidia GeForce GT 610.

I just don't know much about installing graphics cards in HP Consumer desktops, but those have a good chance of working.

HP Recommended

The Drivers are current.  This morning I uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office and haven't had the issue reappear.  I appreciate you suggestion regarding replacing the graphics card.  This will be the next step should it start acting up again.  Thanks a lot!!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.