Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23xi
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. My monitor started looking weird for seemingly no reason. Only about half the screen is affected (though it goes a bit more than the half), and it's like a fade out coming from the right side of the screen. It's a greenish shade with thin horizontal lines (the lines and shading seem to be caused by horizontal lines of green pixels)

I tried shutting down and opening back the monitor, checked if the cables were good, but it doesn't seem to go away.

Is it a known problem and if it is, how can I fix it?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Pata2222

Welcome to HP forums.

1. Use the buttons on the front of the display to open the on-screen menu, and select Factory Reset or Default.

If you need help using the on-screen menu, see the manual for your display.

2. Unplug the video cable between the computer and the display and check the ends for bent or broken pins. If any pins are damaged, replace the cable. Otherwise, securely connect the cable between the computer and the display.

3. If the display has more than one type of connection available such as VGA, DVI, or HDMI, try a different type of connection.

4. If possible, connect the display to another computer. If the lines appear when the display is connected to the second computer, the display might be damaged or defective.

If the lines disappear when the display is connected to another computer, connect the display to the original computer and continue to the next step to update the video drivers.

5. If you have an HP computer, update your video drivers from the HP website.

Otherwise, you can get the latest updated video drivers from the video hardware manufacturer's website. The following list shows some of the video hardware websites:

• Check for NVIDIA video driver updates at NVIDIA (in English).

• Check for AMD video driver updates at AMD (in English).

• Check for S3 video driver updates at S3 Graphics (in English).

• Check for Intel video support and downloads, Intel Downloads (in English).

6. If updating the drivers does not correct the problem, the graphics adapter might be damaged.

Typically, video cards are damaged by too much heat caused by an accumulation of dust around fan areas. Cleaning the components inside the computer, especially the graphic card, might correct this problem.

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Pata2222

Welcome to HP forums.

1. Use the buttons on the front of the display to open the on-screen menu, and select Factory Reset or Default.

If you need help using the on-screen menu, see the manual for your display.

2. Unplug the video cable between the computer and the display and check the ends for bent or broken pins. If any pins are damaged, replace the cable. Otherwise, securely connect the cable between the computer and the display.

3. If the display has more than one type of connection available such as VGA, DVI, or HDMI, try a different type of connection.

4. If possible, connect the display to another computer. If the lines appear when the display is connected to the second computer, the display might be damaged or defective.

If the lines disappear when the display is connected to another computer, connect the display to the original computer and continue to the next step to update the video drivers.

5. If you have an HP computer, update your video drivers from the HP website.

Otherwise, you can get the latest updated video drivers from the video hardware manufacturer's website. The following list shows some of the video hardware websites:

• Check for NVIDIA video driver updates at NVIDIA (in English).

• Check for AMD video driver updates at AMD (in English).

• Check for S3 video driver updates at S3 Graphics (in English).

• Check for Intel video support and downloads, Intel Downloads (in English).

6. If updating the drivers does not correct the problem, the graphics adapter might be damaged.

Typically, video cards are damaged by too much heat caused by an accumulation of dust around fan areas. Cleaning the components inside the computer, especially the graphic card, might correct this problem.

You can refer to this HP document for more assistance:- Click here

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

It didn't work but I will verify my hardware (graphics card, video card and motherboard). Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Pata2222

Yes, you can verify them to check for any failures.

Feel free to contact us if you need any assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.