Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, Colleagues

I got a Z400 3G CPU 24GB RAM at a donation raffle and bought an Nvidia Quadro K5200 card HP # (Assy# 764901-001, Spare # 765150-001) I believe the video card was taken from a Z840.

Bottom line: the video card gives red power light and 6 POST beeps even after upgrading the BIOS of my Z400 to the latest BIOS v, 361.

Any ideas how to make this wonderful high end K5200 card work in my Z400  rig?

( I never gave a second thought that an HP OEM card would not work in an HP workstation.

I guess caveat emptor - if no better ideas from you. )

Thank you and Regards

Dragos

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Forgot to mention... an Nvidia Quadro 400 works perfectly in the Z400, just that I want something better.

HP Recommended

Additional bit of info:
 - The NVIDIA Quadro K5200 works in a Z420 - which has a 600W power supply

- Same it does not work in the Z400, regardless of power supply (oeiginal 475 W power supply, a Supermicro 500W power supply , and an Enermax 565W power supply) - NO GO.

Question is: it is the power supply power ? E.g. needs to be over 600W?

Or the K5200 "reads" something in a particular chassis and refuses to reply to the pre-video POST check if is not a "supported" chassis ?

HP Recommended

Maybe stating the obvious, but have you connected the 6 pin power cable to the K5200?

HP Recommended

Yes, I did plug the 6 pin connector.

Not only that, but I bought another MOLEX Power to 6 Pin adaptor to get power from another rail in the powers Supply.

No avail.

Note that in the next workstation model up, HP420 (as opposed to Z400), the K5200 works no problem.

The Z420 has a 600W power supply and is contemporary with the K5200.

The Z400 has a 475W power supply and is about 4 years older.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.