Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Elite Slice
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have an LG 27UD88 screen that is able to deliver 60 W of power via the USB Type C cable. When I connect my HP Elite slice to the screen, the power button is blinking several times red and several times white. Why is the computer not booting when I try to turn it on ? It only works with the supplied power adapter. 😞

Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

From the HP Slice Hardware Reference guide guide: ( on the bottom of page 11)

Power sources not obtained from HP will be rejected

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer BUT THERE WAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SAID IN THE COMMERCIAL DOCUMENTS for the HP Elite Slice that non HP screens would be rejected. It was just said that it is possible to power the machine with the USB Type C connection and a screen with such a connection. 😞

USB Type C is an industrial standard, so why rejecting other firms compliant connections? 😉 This is not an honest sales behavior.

By the way, the machine is only 4 months old and the motherboard had already to be replaced after nearly 2 weeks of out time (whilest HP gives me a 48 hours on site repair guarantee)... 😄 2 weeks is far from 48 hours ! There are still another 20 months of guarantee left, but I doubt that with all those issues, I will be brave enough to buy another HP computer. 😉

Finally, all the people around me have quality problems with their HP computers (desktops as well as laptops). I think I would rather go for an ASUS next time, never had an issue with those machines. 😉

HP Recommended

Usng a device for power that is non-HP is exactly what you are doing when you connect the screen via USB-C.  YOu know it is.

What I provided to you is a document that HP published.

You can say it isn't so all you want, but that does not change the written word.

That is my last word in this discourse. Have a nice life.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I don't contest the fact that it is an HP document BUT I CLEARLY STATE that there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SAID IN THE COMMERCIAL DOCUMENTS that are shown to the customer before sale ! 😉

HP Recommended

I have the same problem. Same monitor, same issue.

If it's true that HP is not supporting other displays via usb-c than it's own, that would be a shame. That one-cable solution was one of the reasons i bought it. USB-C is an open standard, i don't get it... what is HP thinking?

HP Recommended

I read somewhere that power via USB-C works only if no module is attached. If for example an Optical Disc Drive (ODD) module is connected, power via USB-C will not work. But using a HP Collaboration Cover is fine.

Do you happen to have a module connected? It may be the factor. Just a thought. I want an Elite Slice too for myself if it will work with my preferred ultrawide LG USB-C equipped monitor.

HP Recommended

i removed the audio slice and tried again - nothing changed 😞

(i do have the collaboration cover on my slice)

HP Recommended

Has anyone been able to power their HP Elite Slice via USB-C under any configuration? I am running an HP Elite Slice with the HP recommended S240uj charging monitor. When I plug the slice into the monitor's USB-C port via a USB-C 3.1 cable and try to power on, nothing happens. The power light on the slice simply flashes 3 times red, then 4 times white. The cable and HP monitor are both said to deliver the 60W of power the slice calls for...

I have only found advertisements on the Internet saying that this configuration actually works. I haven't found any forum posts or YouTube videos showing this configuration actually working. 

Note the elite slice works completely fine when plugged in via the AC cable  that came with it. 

I am wondering if it is possible to achieve the single USB-C power/video/audio to the slice and monitor that HP advertises or not? This is why I bought the slice and S240uj monitor. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.