Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP EliteOne 800 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community,

I have a weird issue that I have been troubleshooting for months now without any success.

We use HP EliteOne 800 G3 Touch models in the production area of our company. A couple months ago, we startet having issues with the touch function of those devices. 
Here's what happens:
- We image those devices via our SCCM system

- After the installation, everything, including the touch function, works just fine. (All drivers are installed, touch works, no issues at all)

- However, after a restart of the device, the touch function doesn't work anymore. (Both at the log-in screen and when a user is signed in). The touch driver is displayed as installed and perfectely functioning in device manager though..

- Only when I sign-off with the user that I have just signed-in with, or switch the user account, the touch function starts working again.

- But after the next restart, the behavior is the same again. Touch doesn't work anymore until a user has signed-in and then signed-off again, or the signed-in user is switched.

- It happens with any user, doesn't matter which one

We tried creating new user profiles, updated all the drivers to the newest version, imaged the device without installing any driver package at all in order to rule out that some driver is causing this, rolled out the newest updates. But all without success, touch always stops working after a restart..

Has anyone had this problem in the past? 
I'm happy for any suggestions

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Does it happen to all the devices or just some? Is the bios setup the same in all of them.  Can you see that the drivers have remained the same after a reboot and that windows has not updated them in the background?

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply.
Yes, it does happen to all devices. The drivers stay the same after every reboot. (Both when the Touch screen works and when it doesn't work.)

BIOS setting are the same for all of the devices since we applied the factory defaults on most of them for testing purposes.

HP Recommended

Is the user logging into a domain and getting different credentials? 

HP Recommended

I'm not sure if I understood the question correctly.
We do use domain users since it's a company environment. Should I check if it's the same behavior when using a local user? 
The touchscreen already doesn't work at the login screen though, before a user is signed-in. (After the reboot)
I also got to mention, that we also have EliteOne 800 G5 Touch models in use and they work perfectly fine. So I'm not sure if this is really a user problem.. 

HP Recommended

It's just a thought, if the hardware is the same, the bios the same, the software the same, what can be the variable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHNLp8De2Qg

Perhaps while it is working try this to see if there is some hidden policy issue that is only imposed after reboot.

You could set the software to run as administrator? I understand that the issue is happening before user login but if the drivers or software is configured to run at boot and doesn't have the permissions to do so then it may be something to look at, a long shot I know.

Did you compare the bios setup of the working /non working software looking for obscure things like serial port settings etc that may cause some issues?

HP Recommended

Updating the group policy didn't help unfortunately. 
I compared the BIOS settings of one of my G5 models with the ones of a G3 model. They are exactly the same. Also, the touchscreen does always work in bios with the G3 models, even after reboots when it doesn't in the Windows environment. 
I think I can eliminate BIOS as possible cause for this problem.
I thought that maybe the touch driver of these AiO Touch devices isn't perfectely compatible with Windows version 1809 anymore, which is is the one we use for them. So I installed one of the G3 models using a 1803 image. But it's still the same result. So I guess the Windows version can't be the problem either..
I have re-calibrated the touchscreen and also reset it, as suggested in this post: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Touchsmart-doesn-t-work-until-restarted/td...
But it didn't help either unfortunately..

I also don't believe that this is caused by some policy or something network related because everything works fine with the newer device models. I mean, they have the same policies and everything applied to them as the older models.
I'm going bonkers over here.. Do you have any other ideas?

HP Recommended

What happens when it goes worng? A freeze would suggest a graphics issue, a blue screen, a driver issue. Are the graphics the same? Perhaps an older graphics driver?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.