Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 23-d160qd
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Having trouble with my Envy 23 all-in-one video display. It sometimes flickers, breaks up into nonsense, blacks out completely, and sometimes won't come on at start-up.  It uses the AMD Radeon HD 7650A video card.  I have updated Windows and updated the video driver.  I ran HP boot diagnostics and HP troubleshooting with no hardware problems detected.  I ran the command line (as admin) SFC /SCANNOW and it said it "did not find any integrity violations".  Still the problem persists.  Should I replace the video card even though it says it is OK?  What other things could be causing the display to act so strangely?  Can anyone tell me exactly what AMD Radeon video card I should buy to replace the original?   I should also say that I have another HP monitor attached and it works just fine even when the main monitor fails.  I even tried making the end monitor the primary monitor but then I couldn't get the cursor over to it when main monitor stayed dark.   I have been successful getting the monitor to come on by restarting and hitting the ESC key repeatedly.  This brings me into boot mode and when I tell it to continue starting up this usually solves the problem but not always on the first try.  Any ideas? Thank you.   

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PW28000

I suggest you download and run the HP Support Assistant from this Link: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html?jumpid=va_r602_us/en/any/psg/p...

HPSA will automatically search for all the latest drivers for your Notebook

Also run the AMD Auto Detect Tool. Please follow the instructions in this Link: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-131

Keep me posted 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

Krazy Toad - thanks for the suggestions.  I had run HP Support Assistant but downloaded it again and ran it again.  No problems detected.  I also downloaded and installed the AMD Auto-detect program but it would not/could not detect my video card.  It just hung there searching.  The alternate approach using the AMD Selector does not show the Radeon HD 7650A as a choice to select.  It shows only has a 7670.  I did not try that driver for fear of screwing things up worse.  Then I spent some time deleting all kinds of unused apps and software, uninstalled Chrome and reinstalled it to fully clear unwanted browser extensions, then I defragged the HD, and restarted.  The system came up but with a few big flickers before settling down.  Next I think I will open her up, blow the dust out, and unplug and replug the video card and see what that does.  If I knew the video card was to blame, and not some other component, I would replace it in a heartbeat.  Maybe when I open the PC up I'll be able to see exactly what model of the 7650A is installed.   Thank you again for your suggestions.  I welcome any other thoughts. 

HP Recommended

@PW28000

Boot the computer into the Bios and check if the issue persists?

This is the specification of the computer:- Click here

Uninstall the graphics card drivers from device manager and then update the Bios, Chipset and graphics card drivers from HP.com website.

Click here and type in the product details to download the drivers.

Let me know how it goes.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.