Post new question
Question

Top Student
Message 1 of 4 (95 Views)

HP Envy-23-o014 Inoperative HMDI port w/ Win-10

Product Name: Envy 23-o014
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

With the Win-10 upgrade and HP not wanting to support this computer, the HDMI port is useless. Worked fine with Windows 8.1. However, I wnat to start using my Intel super-drive wich allows the Computer-on-a-stick concept. It connects to a computer or smart TV via the HDMI.

Does anyone know if I will have to down-grade from Win-10 to Win-8. to reactivate the HDMI? I was considering doing a dual-boot, but that brings a whole nuther set of problems. Going back is no guarantee of getting the device to operate without the original HP installed software. Of course, we all know it came with uddles of restore software, now that Win-10 has re-wrote the recovery partition.

Any suggestions here?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 4 (75 Views)

Re: HP Envy-23-o014 Inoperative HMDI port w/ Win-10

Hi @pareysen

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the HDMI port not working on your computer.

Don’t worry, we will work together to resolve this issue and It’s a pleasure to assist you in this regard.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details and I would appreciate if you could, perhaps elaborate on your concern.

·         When was the last time the HDMI port was working fine?

·         Have you tried different devices on the HDMI port?

·         Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

·         Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, follow the steps in the below link and check if it helps.

http://hp.care/2pMzCiY

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

Top Student
Message 3 of 4 (66 Views)

Let's clear this up. After my purchase of the Envy 23-o014, the original OS was Win-8.1 with eligibility for a free Win-10 Upgrade. The HDMI system was fully operational, allowed connection to both my Cable STB and ocassionaly, my FTA Satellite receiver. Both have HDMI output ports. Hoorah, the day comes for the upgrade to Window 10. Fairly smooth upgrade, with the exception of the HDMI port. Win-10 does not support the HDMI port on this machine. I contacted HP Tech and was told that HP decided NOT to support the Envy 23 on Win-10, yet the support page notes the Win-10 OS. After a lot of conversations and e-mails, I chose to try and go back to the 8.1 operating system. I received a 32 gb 8.1 stick from HP containing a replacement Win-8.1 OS. Apparently, the Win-10 upgrade overwrote the recovery partition to accomidate Win-10. Many, many hours of conversations, emails, etc. have proved fruitless.

Problem one: The 8.1 version provided is the standard Windows 8.1 version, without the creative touches in the drivers that came installed from the factory. The replacement 8.1 did not support the HDMI either. After the extensive campaign online that I really should upgrade to Win-10, I fell for that trap. Since I was not going to have use of the port, what ever. Even the HP website does not indicate the original drivers fro HP, only what the OS gets from Not-so-Soft. Someone at HP should have compared the drivers between the original vs the offered as an update. Because I have a machine that has long tresspassed beyond the warranty, despite the the continuious warranted date, there is NO support for identified faults on a HP product.

Problem Two: In the mean time, I have had a motherboard failure, a 1tb SSD that is flakey, and have lost one of the five USB ports. When the only means to connect the machine is the remaining four usb ports, and the hidden usb port is the one that failed, if I want to use the supplied dongle, reducing the ports available to three. If I had to use a regular keyboard and mouse, that would be kind of tough to use external equipment. Hot swaping was never considered. Please, please, HP needs to consider NEVER again creating a machine with only USB ports.

Problem three: This machine EATS USB thumbdrives. It has eaten not only an 8 gig backup boot disk, but the Win-8.1 provided by HP also. They are now unrecognized by the system, so I could not even replace the Win-10 system if I wanted. Not-so-Soft wants me to purchase a new key if I decide to revert the system using an 8.1 .iso. disk.

As to your recommended 'cures', I downloaded ALL the given drivers frm the Envy-23 support page ans installed. I then have accomplished a forces update from Not-so-Soft. Three hours of time I'll never get back accomplishing nothing. How about going back into the archives and offering a copy of the original factory installed OS? Without that, my long line of HP purchases comes to a close.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 4 (57 Views)

Hi @pareysen

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any. 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation