Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 27-p014 All-in-One Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I recently bought refurbished HP ENVY 27-p014 All-in-One Desktop PC series  (non touch). Out of the box my bios version is A0.11. I did a clean installation of windows 10 pro (64 bit) version 1709, update all the drivers via windows update. Everythings works fine except brightness control. I can scroll through the brightness bar but nothing happened. I tried roll back intel 530 display driver to original version released in Dec 2015 (20.19.15.4360) without success. I tried adjust the brightness via power options in control panel  including in advanced power settings without success. I enable, disable and even changed monitor driver from "Generic PnP Monitor" to a random HP monitor driver without any luck. Fortunately I can enable the night light. But while the night light is on I still can't adjust the brightness level.

PS: the brightness can't be adjusted even with the bundled windows 10 home edition that came with the computer.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PhilKD

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, 

Riddle_Decipher is at your service. 

As I understand you are unable to adjust the screen brightness,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you know that HP recommends using the OEM Factory shipped OS instead of retail windows?

(Please revert to the OEM, using the HP Recovery Media, if you don't have one: Click here for details)

Also, Have does the issue persists only with using the function (Fn) key to adjust the brightness or are you not able to change it on the power options window as well?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do

(if it's on the function keys that aren't working):

Here’s the step by step guide for you: 

1. Click the Start button, then click Run.   

2. In the Run window, next to Open, type MSCONFIG.   

3. Press the ENTER key.   

4. In the System Configuration Utility window, click the Startup tab.   

5. On the Startup tab, under Startup Item, ensure that there is a check in the HKserv checkbox.   

For Windows 10 drivers: Click here  

(ignore the ads, 3rd party link has been sent to ensure your issue is fixed, I'm going beyond my way to help you and if you would like to give me virtual high five, Click on the purple thumbs up 🙂

  

If the above doesn't help, please create another User account as suggested earlier and try again. 

Also, if the other function keys are working and/or the brightness control on your Power options doesn't work either:

Please revert back to OEM version of windows (sent with the PC), update the BIOS, Chip-set and Graphics card drivers: Click here to find and install the same.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
@Riddle_Decipher
Thank you for the info. The brightness can't be adjusted in the windows' settings. My keyboard doesn't have brightness function key. The other function keys are working fine.
HP Recommended

@PhilKD

Hi,

as @Riddle_Decipher is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

In case if you have already attempted the steps all the steps posted by @Riddle_Decipher  and the issue persists then please continue with the following steps.

I'll do my best to assist you with this case. Please check if the following options are available in your computer:

• In Windows 10, search for and open Change display settings. You can also right-click the desktop and open Display settings.

• To change the orientation between Landscape and Portrait or to flip the orientation, select an option from the drop-down menu, then click Keep Changes or Revert.

• To adjust the brightness, click and drag the slider bar. Changes take effect immediately.

Figure : Adjusting the slider bar for brightness

Adjusting the  slider bar for brightness

If the issue persists then you may update the BIOS via this link: www.hp.com/drivers

Post a successful BIOS update, you may download and run the HP Support Assistant.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

I can flip and rotate screen but when I scroll through the brightness bar. The screen does nothing. I think it keeps at the maximum brightness. I download the HP suppoer assistant. Got intel chipset update but still couldn't adjust the brightness after restart.

HP Recommended

@PhilKD

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

PS: I'd like to tell you just how impressed I am about you posting every single detail, in a nice orderly fashion.

You make it easy for "us". even though "we" haven't solved the issue yet, but it's nice to work with someone with your level of gumption.

That said, since the issue persists, I recommend you update the video card drivers as well as the Bios (if not done already) - Click here to find and install them.

If the issue persists, please perform a push button reset followed by an HP Factory reset using the HP Recovery Manager:

Click here for steps.

If none of the above works, which is quite rare but would confirm a hardware malfunction, please Contact HP to have the device repaired accordingly:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  

* Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

* Enter Product number or select to auto detect

* Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

* Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If you would like to thank me for my efforts to help you, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution".

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.