Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 19 All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

So I stumbled upon a problem with my keyboard not working past the initial Microsoft Sign On screen, it would allow me to type my password but nothing after I was logged on, the keyboard simply would not work. I came across this... "My HP envy keyboard stopped working. I restarted, and it seemed to be fixed, as I was able to use the keyboard to type in my login password. However, once I was logged in and back at the desktop, it again did not work. I've repeated the process a few times. Also, the keys made a beep when pressed even though nothing registers. How can I fix this?" ... archived post that offered several solutions, I tried them all at the same time so not sure which one worked but between the following 3 solutions I was able to resolve the issue. In the mean time if your keyboard is not working you can use the on screen keyboard to get around while figuring out your solution to use on screen go to windows icon click that then click PC settings, click ease of access then click keyboard the top option should say on screen keyboard click that toggle and slide over to turn on. After that try the following (I did all 3 before restarting by computer)...

1. Open windows Control Panel, open Device Manager, expand Keyboards, right click the entry listed under keyboard (it will be different depending on the type of keyboard you are trying to use) and select Uninstall. Another option is if your keyboard and mouse show up under devices right click the keyboard then click properties come up click the hardware tab (top, right) it should then list both your keyboard device and a USB input device, You can click on each of those and on the next page that pops up click drivers. I had tried updating my drivers to no avail so I chose to rollback driver on both devices. 

2. Then I went to Windows, Settings, Ease of access, Keyboard and made sure filter keys were turned off. 

3 Next Restart your computer while its booting Tap away at the esc key as you start to launch the Start-up Menu and then select f10 to enter the bios menu.  Press f5 to load the defaults ( this is sometimes f9, but the menu at the bottom will show the correct key ), use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.  Press f10 to save the setting and again use the arrow keys to select 'Yes' and hit enter.

After completing those 3 tasks, which I know can be bit time consuming but definitely less annoying than using on screen keyboard or having to replace your keyboard unnecessarily. I personally was freaking out because the keyboard I was using when this  happened was a 2month old $100 gaming keyboard. 

Anyhow hope this helps just wanted to put it out these even tho I found some if the info in an archived post I added in the part to rollback drivers and figured it would be nice to have it all in one post.

HTH 

~Mandi
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@akubilus81 Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the keyboard is not working after login into windows.

Please perform the keyboard test.

1. Power off the PC and make sure that it is completely powered off.

2. Press the power button and the moment you press the power button immediately start tapping F2 key, you should see the system diagnostics screen.

3. Look for the component test, under that all the hardware will be listed, please choose Keyboard and initiate the quick test.

Note: If it fails it will generate a 24 digits alphanumeric failure id, please capture that.

If the test is passed, please uninstall the keyboard drivers from Device manager and update the BIOS.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

all I see here is bad keyboard, 2month old $100 gaming keyboard.

turn it upside down and tell what you really have, HP<  and model # keyboard.

is this pure USB keyboard, or bluetooth? IDK there are vast keyboards made, huge list of kbd.

did it fail on all USB ports

does the OS10 show , and make a sound for USB connection as you plug it in , if not the USB port or driver are bad.

first harware must work the drivers then a none corrupt OS.

I bet the keyboard works in BIOS F2 mode, or any BIOS page you can name show that it is not dead.

ALL I have are questions,

1: what keyboard exactly if wireless put in new batteries now. (marginal batteries are a hair puller so there you go)

2: does keyboard fail on other PC#2' , simple as can be hardware test, 101.

3: does it fail on all USB ports for sure USB and all USB3,  (3 are blue coded jack plastics)

4: when doing all this, is the internet connected , if not how can PnP work, you tell me? IDK,  but make that happen.

5: did you ask the KEYBOARD maker , does it need custom w10 driver to work, (most do if gamer grade) if no, see #4 above n

if yes, get them now from said maker, for w10 and exact model of unstated keyboard.

that is about it ,  I will no  delve in to OS corruption, unless real.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

in this page dell.com i tried to break spades on $100 (and only 2 makers hit, Alienware (many) and one Microsoft keyboard.

id bet boxes of cookies MS KBD fails in w10 so must be that Aienware keyboard and does not list your PC as supported,

on dells, sales page

there are no less than 12 gaming keyboards listed, now can I guess what you have, can not. sorry can NOT.

the (wild guess) Alienware????????????????

AW410K

kbd-hell-gamed.JPG

HP Recommended

so far all we know is this "happened was a 2month old $100 gaming keyboard. "

lots words not one clue as to WHAT KEYBOARD it is.??? vast exist. vast , non told yet.

is it USB,  bluetooth , or custom RF wireless type)  not told, yet,  read the tag.

that is correct things can work in bios and login but not full blown windows running yet,. sure can.

OP turn over the keyboard, please, and

read the tag

tell model #

if wire less make sure batteries inside are fresh.

if works in BIOS

fails in windows that is PnP failure,  and must be...

is the internet connected now, so PnP  work right?

Plug and ply needs the internet to work is it now?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.