Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 24-B010
Linux

Recently we have upgraded many of our Pavilion 24-B010 All-In-One PCs BIOS from F.30 to F.51. So far 8 have been successful with the BIOS update. 

We just upgraded another Pavilion 24-B010 BIOS from F.30 to F.51. The Pavilion was running Ubuntu 16.04 Linux fine before the upgrade. The BIOS upgrade was required for a specific fix. We loaded the BIOS via USB, used the Diagnostics menu, where we chose the Firmware Upgrade, selected BIOS F.51, and performed the upgrade. This completed, and then the Pavilion rebooted.

After the reboot the Display Screen was blank. We left the system on for 5 minutes in case there was a BIOS upgrade behind the scenes. After 5 minutes, we power cycled the Pavilion and the screen was still blank. We then noticed that the mouse/keyboard get no power (no optical light on mouse, no numlock LED light up on keyboard). However, the Network Port gets LED lights, and the CD-ROM opens and closes. So the system has power.

We tried the following steps for debugging:

(1) Unplug all cables and power

(2) Press and Hold Power button for 15 seconds

(3) Return power, turn on and see if display shows.   (This was unsuccessful)

(1) Power on Pavilion and press F10 repeatedly to get into "blind" BIOS.

(2) Press Down 3 times and then Enter twice.   (This was unsuccessful as it appears the USB ports are not functioning).

(1) Checked USB Mouse/Keyboard on another PC and they work fine.

Before I open up this Pavilion, are there any other back-door resets that can bring this system to an original state? Sometimes a hidden pin-hole, or perhaps a Jumper inside on the motherboard to be used, or CMOS Clear battery / connect combo.

Thanks for any info.

Cullenmichaelo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Pavilion 24-B010 has been resurrected. These following steps were performed to finally get the USB ports and Display to work, and get the PC back to showing the BIOS.

After opening up the  guts of this All-In-One, 3 actions were performed all at the same time:

(1) Pulled both RAM sticks and swapped them in their slots.

(2) Moved Jumper Pin to ROM Recovery (pins 9-10) ... which took some time since the Pins don't have any numbering layout or at least a Triangle indicator for #1 printed on the board. (Then powered on the PC)

(3) Used a screwdriver on some circuits on MB associated with the USB power (while power on) to hopefully short-circuit or get some signal to flow. 

This got the system past some roadblock, brought up the Display and got the USB ports working. I then was able to get into BIOS (which showed F.51 was the loaded BIOS) and then restored defaults. System is now in a working state.

#1 and #2 had been performed by themselves (not at same time) to no success. So unsure while all 3 solved this issue.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@cullenmichaelo
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help,  I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

• In order to isolate the issue, you need to reinstall Windows OS. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Echo,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, we have no working monitor display and no working USB ports. So no access to a Mouse or Keyboard, and no visual display. Thus, no chance to reinstall Windows OS.

The USB Charging port does work. As for the USB 2.0/3.0 ports, when a Mouse USB is plugged in, there is a quick flicker of the Mouse Optical. So it appears the power for the USB bus is now faulty, or the USB Bus has some other fault.

NOTE - I performed various jumper settings to reset the password, restore the CMOS and they provided no help.

HP Recommended

@cullenmichaelo
Thank you for printing back.

Firstly, perform Hard Reset: Follow steps from the link: https://hp.care/2GnkMa8. (do not skip any troubleshooting steps even if you feel steps are repeating)

Next step BIOS default: 

1. Turn off the computer and wait five seconds.
  2. Press the Power button to start the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key to enter the BIOS setup menu.
  3. On the BIOS Setup screen, press F9 to select and load the BIOS Setup Default settings.
  4. Press F10 to Save and Exit.
  5. Use the arrow keys to select Yes, then press Enter when asked Exit Saving Changes?
  6. Follow the prompts to restart your computer. If the issue persists, follow the next steps.

Let's run the System Tests which will check the hardware sub-systems to ensure they are functioning properly.

Open the System Tests menu when Windows won't start.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  3. On the main menu, click System Tests.
  4. The System Tests menu displays.

The steps in this section describe how to run the tests to check for hardware failures and view the test logs. ( check for ports )

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Pavilion 24-B010 has been resurrected. These following steps were performed to finally get the USB ports and Display to work, and get the PC back to showing the BIOS.

After opening up the  guts of this All-In-One, 3 actions were performed all at the same time:

(1) Pulled both RAM sticks and swapped them in their slots.

(2) Moved Jumper Pin to ROM Recovery (pins 9-10) ... which took some time since the Pins don't have any numbering layout or at least a Triangle indicator for #1 printed on the board. (Then powered on the PC)

(3) Used a screwdriver on some circuits on MB associated with the USB power (while power on) to hopefully short-circuit or get some signal to flow. 

This got the system past some roadblock, brought up the Display and got the USB ports working. I then was able to get into BIOS (which showed F.51 was the loaded BIOS) and then restored defaults. System is now in a working state.

#1 and #2 had been performed by themselves (not at same time) to no success. So unsure while all 3 solved this issue.

HP Recommended

@cullenmichaelo

Thank you for posting back.

I am glad to know that you managed to resolve the issue. Please reach out again for any further assistance.

Have a nice day ahead.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.