Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 27q Display
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I have a Macbook pro (Mid 2012 version) connected to my new HP Pavilion 27q Diplay by a 4K HDMI-MiniDisplayport cable.    

The problem is that I can only get my HP Pavilion 27q monitor to display 1920x1080, even though both the MacBook Pro (2560x1600) and the HP monitor (2560x1440) can both display much higher resolution images.

When I go to Preferences > Display on my MacBook Pro, the display defaults to 1920x1080 (1080p), and even if I choose "Scaled" and press the "Option" key to see other options - none are better than that.

How can I get to 2560 resolution?    Do I need to adjust monitor controls?  Is there a trick to use on the MacBook?

Your help would really be appreciated.  Thanks!

-Roby.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I the dispays preferences try holding down the Option key when selecting the Scaled button.  This should force the UI to give you all resolution options.

Also, sometime resetting the PRAM will fix odd issues like this as well.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion, IronBadger.

I tried both using the Option key AND resetting the PRAM.  Unfortunately,  neither of them allowed me to see a 2560x1440 resolution choice on the "Scaled" menu.

HP Recommended

Unfortunately I do not have access to a 27q monitor.  But that really should not matter.

When you hold down the option key do you also see a Detect Monitors button on the bottom right of the Displays window?  Click this button and that will force teh Preferences pane to update the supported resolutions. 

If this still doesnt work I would look at the cable as a possiblity.  Do you have access to a mini-DP to DP adapter or cable rather than HDMI?

While I may work for HP Inc, the views and opinions expressed here are my own.
HP Recommended

Did you ever find a resolution to you issue?  I'm facing the same thing with a second monitor right now.

HP Recommended

I resolved my issue.  I had been using an HDMI cable to connect my computer to my monitor.  And that was limiting my resolution.

I changed to a Mini-DisplayPort-to-DisplayPort cable and the full resolution was available to me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.