Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion TP01-0029na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How to I connect a 2nd 27" monitor with USB-C video, Display Port, & HDMI inputs to a PC that has only only one HDMI & one VGA output?

The first monitor is connected HDMI to HDMI and works fine using the one HDMI PC output

An HP HDMI-VGA "adapter"  p/n 900259-001 connected to the PC  VGA output and to the 2nd monitor HDMI input doesn't work, (I think because it a FROM hdmi TO vga adapter).

The PC VGA output DOES work connected directly to an old 19" HP monitor with a VGA input

The PC has a front panel USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C output. The PC has a power rating of 180W.

1. Can I use the front panel USB 3.1 Type C connector to the monitor USB-C video - is this a video output from the PC?

2.  Can I replace the video connector "card" with one that has HDMI/DP/USB-C ports

3. Do I need to upgrade PC power supply. This is for extended screen mode only, not gaming

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@MarkC20201 

Your machine has following ports at its back

• (3) Audio jacks
  • (1) VGA port
  • (1) HDMI 1.4b/HDCP 2.2 port
  • (4) USB 2.0 Type-A ports
  • (1) RJ-45/Ethernet port

You have to use NATIVE VGA and HDMI connections, no adapter what so ever.

A1. You can't use USB-C port at the front, it does not support to connect to a monitor.

A.2 Other option is to ADD a video card to your machine (this will automatically disable iGPU) because it has a spare PCIe x16 socket (for discrete graphic card).

A3. It only has 180 W Gold efficiency power supply. You have to upgrade PSU too.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you Banhien for your swift reply.  I've researched more and find that the HP USB-C Dock G5 (5TW10AA) lists the HP Pavilion Desktop TP01-0029na (9MC0 8EA) in its compatibility list. So, could I connect this Dock to the front USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-C port on the PC & connect 2 DisplayPort cables from the hub to the 2 displays? If I can, then alternatively, could I connect 1 USB-C cable directly from this front PC port to one of the screens (they have a USB-C input) and connect the 2nd screen's HDMI input through the PC's rear HDMI port on the video card.  Spec for the G5 hub says "host must support DisplayPort Alt protocol through it USB-C"; so does my PC HP TP01 0029na have this protocol on this front port? This PC is listed as compatible with the G5 hub, so I presume it does. Power required for the hub is 120W, PC PSU is 180W, but if the hub is compatible with the PC, ie, it has the DisplayPort protocol, then a direct USB-C connection to one of the screens wouldn't require this much power, so wouldn't compromise the PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.