Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 9 (3,783 Views)

HP Pavillion 27xw random sleep/flashing back screen

[ Edited ]
Product Name: HP Pavillion 27xw
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just tried to call and speak to someone to get an answer but that was useless. Your tech tried to tell me that the problem I am having is my computer is in sleep mode. It is not.

The issue I am having is I could be randomly on the computer and the monitor will just randomly flash black and act like the HDMI came unplugged. I don't recall exactly what it says but the monitor says something about the display is going to sleep. Like it isn't recognizing anything is plugged into the HDMI.

To fix this issue, I have to unplug the HDMI, let it set for 3 minutes then plug it back in and it seems to fix it for a day or two. I have checked the HDMI, I have tried multiple HDMI's bought brand new ones. Same result.

I also noticed when trying to flip between browser tabs I get random black flashes like the monitor is trying to switch between resolutions or something. Everything is set to 1920x1080 and this only happens on occasion. Other times it works flawlessly.

I am no stranger to computers, I work with computers daily, I custom build them. You name it. For that guy to tell me it's my computer going to sleep is a joke. The computer is on. My second screen is on. It's something with the monitor itself.

I have tried my old monitor and have zero issues.

Drivers are up to date on both the monitor and graphics card. Windows 10 is also up to date.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Retired
Message 2 of 9 (3,753 Views)

Re: HP Pavillion 27xw random sleep/flashing back screen

Hi there @b2grfx,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the monitor going black. I will be glad to help you.

Please try the steps from Monitor is Blank.

Also try steps for your computer

Troubleshooting HDMI Display and Sound Issues

Troubleshoot screen flickering in Windows 10

Please keep me informed of how things went.
If you require further assistance, let me know and I will gladly do all I can to help you.
Please let me know if this resolves the issue by marking this post as "Accept as Solution".
To simply say thanks, click the Thumbs up below! 

Thanks

Tardis40
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Tutor
Message 3 of 9 (3,541 Views)

Hey buddy, 

Did you find a solution to this? I'm having the same issue!! HP tech support has been a nightmare!

Student
Message 4 of 9 (3,340 Views)

Go into monitor controls and switch auto input control to off. I looks like this might be the issue. I had the problem and now i went away. Holding my breath to make sure it stays that way though, I only have 30 days left on my warranty. Its good for now, cant attest to the longevity of this. But its worth a try. Ill post if it fails. 

Tutor
Message 5 of 9 (3,332 Views)

I fixed it a while ago. It was the hardware acceleration in my browser.

To disable the hardware acceleration feature of Google Chrome follow the below procedure:
  1. Open Google Chrome.
  2. Click Customize and Control Google Chrome > Settings.
  3. Click on "Show advanced settings" and scroll to the "System" section.
  4. Uncheck "Use hardware acceleration when available" and restart Google Chrome.

Student
Message 6 of 9 (2,256 Views)

Hi guys,

I'm having terrible issues with this happening now too! I've read what you mentioned about the Auto-input, have just tried this and it hasn't resolved the problem.

I've got my monitor connected to a MacBook via HDMI and it was working beautifully for months (only purchased in Nov 2016) but now it cuts off every 3 seconds or so as if it loses connection.

Any ideas? I really don't want to return this guy but if I can't get it to work then I will need to and then find a replacement!

Thanks a million

HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 9 (2,233 Views)

@J-Whitton

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand your HP 27 monitor randomly sleeps or has a flashing screen,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

What is the product number of your product? Use this link to find it: http://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c03754824

(Do not share any personal information such as serial number, email ID, phone number or address on a public forum for your safety). 

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

Did you attempt installing the latest drivers for your monitor using HP's Official website for drivers and software? if you haven't, please Click here

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

Student
Message 8 of 9 (2,076 Views)

Hello:

I am having this same issue, although I have only been using the monitor for a few days (just bought it).  It will periodically flash in the middle of work.  Does not seem to be based on any particular program.  I have the HP27er.  Please let me know what I can do to try to fix this.  I love the monitor, but can't work efficiently with it flashing on and off throughout the day.

Thanks,

Denise

HP Support Agent
Message 9 of 9 (2,064 Views)

@DeniseH70

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out Smiley Happy

As I understand the monitor is flashing or flickering at times,

No worries as I'd love to help, however, I need a few more details to provide an accurate solution:

Did you try with an alternate monitor?

Or connect your monitor to a different computer?

If you haven't, Please check with alternate monitor to understand if this is either a hardware or a software failure,
if the issue does not appear on the alternate monitor, you may need to replace the display assembly on your computer,
if the issue appears on the alternate monitor/TV as well, re-install the graphics card drivers & update it from the official HP Website: Click here (if you are using an HP computer along with the monitor)

If you don’t have an alternate monitor, I recommend checking if the issue appears on the BIOS screen (restart the computer and tap on F10 to access BIOS)

This would confirm if it's either a hardware failure or an issue with the graphics card drivers so we may reinstall and update the drivers to fix the issue as mentioned above.

If the issue persists on BIOS as well, please try with a TV to identify if it's the LCD or the motherboard/video card failure,

If the issue occurred after an accident (such as dropping it on the floor, liquid spilled on it, etc.) there could be a hardware failure and in such cases, you may need to get the computer repaired via HP (there could be a charge involved if the PC isn't covered by the accidental damage protection plan)

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation