Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 800-092
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade my graphics card (actually Ndiva Geforce GTX 680) on my HP Envy Phoenix 800-092. 

I would like an Nvidia RTX 2060 SUPER card or an Ndiva RTX 2070 SUPER card, and do not know if it is compatible with this desktop (3 PCIe x1; 1 PCIe x16, depth, length), or if the power will be enough for these card? Can someone recommend another card to use?  

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

is the PC booting to UEFI secure boot now?  it came with W8.1.  Legacy boot is best, to run any GPU card .

• Some PCs OEM only allow there OEM video cards using secure boot. so turn that off.
  • must fit inside the case and not hit thing H x  W  x L.  (a ruler works to learn that.) (no URL from you on GPU )
  • must not overload the X16 slot, some cheap PCs are 35watt and not industry spec, 75watt.
  • the over 75watt cards need a PSU with 12vdc Aux power supply PSU cable or will not work
  • and last drivers to work in your PC. w10,.  there are 12 makers of cards and vast sizes.( an speeds)
  • I presume you mean the card is actually Nvidia made not just the chip. right? those 2 cards burn 160 to 175watts
  • that means the PSU in your PC must be able to do that. wattage draw. + normal.
  • I give up ,no specs I can find on this PC,  drivers yes, books no, spec;'s zero, Hp parts surfer , zero.
  • learn that GPU card even one model have vast form factors even 1 2, 3, fans and very long or short. (noise issues )
  • full height and low profile. the  more fans means they can spin slower and make less noise, go to newegg, see the vast variants even on one model and 12 makers of card>? vast! sorry I could not learn what PSU you have.

below is random 2070 card, see those 2 huge power jacks, they are not optional ever. if there must have power on all pins seen there. or it will fail or BSOD for sure.!!    varies by maker  and versions, all.  locations and pin counts.

adapter can be had to get 6 pins from 8 if needed. ask.

ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 2070 8GB ( top removed)

2070.JPG

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

looking at all parts sellers

seems it is in fact ATX real PSU  sized, and mobo matched 24pin + 4 pin standards.

500-600watts , plenty

but Can not find the PSU for sale , so cant look for those 2,  6/8 pair of GPU card AUX power feed cables.

i have done vast GPU upgrades, seen all problems that can happen and cures.

do not hot swap any thing inside the PC.

your 175watt card has 2 aux jacks for power and they are never optional. so open your case and find them.

no GPU card URL posted by you , so cannot tell you how many 6/8 jacks are there, no 2 makers do the same thing here.

some even do one 6 and one 8 jack, but most do twin 6  or twin 8, what I do is look at the card then find the pair of cables in the PC, some PCs these are from PSU and others from MOBO power out to , GPU. no cables sold I can see for this PC  so could not look that up.

good luck to you.

HP Recommended

answer #3 can you recommend a card.

not HP (me) but  sure. (i am 100% HP card ignorant)

GTX1650,  is fast and uses only 75watts max and no need for AUX power. at all nor possible (mine is Zotac)

a turing class gpu super efficient and fast.  (i run that) and run any game you can name (over 50) I guess you want to game?

1 fan, short length too.  75watts max. even be ready to reload w10, if using SECURE BOOT NOW (UEFI class 2 or 3)

there is answer 3, and pitfalls all in one. the KISS answer.

GPUs are a complex topic bar none on PC , vast features on cards,  and 12 makers,  which one is best for you is unknown.

try the 1650 first if not happy exchange it as vast do, for  all the above reasons. and more. (features rich)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.