Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to connect an external monitor to my HP envy.

Monitor only has a VGA connection, and I am connecting to the laptop via an HDMI to VGA adapter.

The monitor works fine with other computers (it is from 2006, so not the newest). The monitor has it's own power source, and a light on telling me it's working (in power save mode, awaiting an input).

Laptop does not detect that I've added another monitor.

I have tried asking it to 'detect' in settings, but still didn't.

(The adapter has some extra outlets for audio and DC5V which I am not connecting to - didn't think those are needed for my purposes?)

I have not used the HDMI outlet on the laptop for any other purpose, so not tested the operation of that. 

Any advice very gratefully received!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Woah, now it is working! Not sure what I did other than try it several times....and maybe the adapter spotted me writing that this is it's job and got to it???  Thanks for assistance!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@sodraba 

Cable/adapter is the culprit. Please use a proper one because from HDMI to VGA is from digital to analog, you need a proper converter. Buying new monitor would be much better (and ending up cheaper in terms of $$ and time, given time is gold) than buying cable and converter.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi BH, 

Thanks for your comment!

I'm using a new HDMI-VGA adapter, described as being specifically for this purpose, so I believe it is a 'proper converter'? I am aware of the analog-digital issue, but thought that's what this adapter is supposed to resolve.

I would like to avoid the waste of replacing a perfectly usable monitor, if I can get the laptop and monitor to recognise each other. 

Thanks and best wishes! 

HP Recommended

Woah, now it is working! Not sure what I did other than try it several times....and maybe the adapter spotted me writing that this is it's job and got to it???  Thanks for assistance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.