Saylor10
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Home icon blinks

All in One 24-e0XX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have HP All in One touch screen. 24-eOXX.  Its Windows 10, 64-bit.   The home icon just starts blinking, at different times.  But when it blinks I can't use my mouse, and the home opens and closes very fast.  I have tried rebooting, then it works for a while.  Sometimes I can click right on it and try to open anything.  if I keep doing this it does eventually stop and then I can work again.  But I am worried at some point I will not be able to get it to stop.  I can touch on the screen the same way, but usually, I just use the mouse and have to keep clicking on it.  Any help would be appreciated.

The computer is just over a year old.  And started doing this about a month ago.  I work from home and keep a lot of programs opened at the same time. Sometimes if I close some stuff and click on the home icon it will stop.  But I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem.

1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,477 21,432 1,812 2,895
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Home icon blinks

@Saylor10

Welcome to the HP Forums,

We'll be with you until it's all sorted & beyond!

I suggest you start with uninstalling applications you added to your device, such as WebEx Desktop productivity tools (if any) as they are known to have compatibility issues that cause the flashing icons, also remove applications you don't use anymore, that said, if the issue persists try the below steps:

1. Open Windows Explorer. Go to %userprofile%\AppData\Local
2. Make sure Show Hidden Files is enabled. Change Properties for IconCache.db so that its not Hidden. (so that its visible in step 7 below). Close Windows Explorer.
3. Open Task Manager (to be used in Step 6)
4. Open Command prompt
5. CD to %userprofile%\AppData\Local. DIR should show IconCache.db in the folder.
6. In the Task Manager window, sort by application, and click on Explorer.exe. Click on End Process. Make sure no Explorer processes are running. Your Start button and Taskbar will disappear.
7. In the Command prompt window, delete the IconCache.db file: DEL IconCache.db
8. In the Command prompt window, restart Explorer by entering "Explorer". The Start button and Taskbar should re-appear.

The alternative is to do a shutdown /r in the Command Prompt after removing IconCache.db to restart your PC.
Hopefully when done, no more flashing icons.

Keep me posted, as I (Or a trusted colleague) shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed, 

And your device is up and running again, only in case you don't get back to us, first! 

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us, and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation