Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1174 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello to all,

I'm new here and haven't really needed any info until now. I am having a bit of trouble and didn't really know who to ask, so I decided to come here and get the help I need from the community. 🙂 I want to know what I need to upgrade my p7-1174 desktop video card. It is having trouble initializing Directx 12. Any suggestions or someone who has resolved a similar issue? I would love to hear from you!

Veretta Lloyd
1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

hi

bios version ?

if 7.xx

In theory only old graphics cards
AMD Radeon HD 6xxx cards, or a Nvidia GT (X) 6xx card
can be used
on condition of having the required power supply for the chosen model

probably 300w power supply 

----------------------------------------------

If you want to replace/add a graphics card, there are a few things you need to check

>

You have to check the manufacturers data, for the chosen model , Dimensions, power requirements, and additional pci connectors required >see @old_geekster 's kb

Upgrade Video Card - HP Support Community - 7481981

>

this can also help:

Upgrade, for games, what to do, how to get an idea of what t... - HP Support Community - 8529359

for the graphics card, I often recommend the Asus site with filter options

https://www.asus.com/motherboards-components/graphics-cards/all-series/filter?Spec=683

or msi

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-Cards

See if others offer it, price/performance may vary...

If you have the idea to replace more than the graphics card (sometimes no choice, you will have to change the power supply as well) The processor, going from 16 gb of ram to 32 gb for example depending on the age of the computer, this might not be advantageous so rather old, what you change may not be able to be reused, unlike the graphics card..Sometimes, for not that much cost, you could have a much newer, more capable computer.

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.