Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Hp slimline 260p026
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to use the HDMI ouput on the system board and turn off the vga output.  My old vga monitor has finally died and I can buy a larger 2K hdtv with several hdmi ports very inexpensively.

If I just connect the hdtv with a quality hdmi cable will the hdmi port work with no modifications?

If so, will I need to disable the vga port somehow?

Or do I need to buy and install a seperate video hard with hdmi?

I do not need 2 monitors to work.  I just want one great hd monitor to use which happens to be an hdtv that I can buy inexpensively.

Thanks for the help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@obxal

What do you mean very poor, your machine should be able to display FHD (1920 x 1080) on your TV using HDMI. Its specs :

https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-slimline-260-p000-desktop-pc-series/10734583/model/11715680/...

Please right click a blank space on desktop then

(a) Select display settings,

(b) Select resolution

fhdx.png

Note: Normally, TV screen is larger, sitting next to TV you can see very poor screen

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@obxal

No, you don't need to disable VGA port. You simply use HDMI port to connect your machine to a TV. One thing to note: HDMI port on your machine may not display properly on TV which has higher resolution than 1920 x 1080 (or FHD TV).

Regards.

BH
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you.  If the resolution on the hdtv is poor, then I guess I could buy a new graphics card for my pc and upgrade the resolution.   If so, what brands, size, and speeds would you recommend that would work with my older desktop.  I am not a gamer, but just want good resolution for work applications and the web.  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@obxal

What do you mean very poor, your machine should be able to display FHD (1920 x 1080) on your TV using HDMI. Its specs :

https://support.hp.com/za-en/product/hp-slimline-260-p000-desktop-pc-series/10734583/model/11715680/...

Please right click a blank space on desktop then

(a) Select display settings,

(b) Select resolution

fhdx.png

Note: Normally, TV screen is larger, sitting next to TV you can see very poor screen

Regards.

BH

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.