Locked topic

This topic has been locked due to inactivity for a long period of time. If you have a question, please create a new topic by clicking here.
carlvs Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible to replace the 16 GB msata ssd drive on a 27" HP Envy Recline computer?

Recently I bought a 27" HP Envy Recline computer.  It is a nice system, but it I am baffled by the decision  to use a slow 5400 rpm HD as a primary drive.

I know an user can easily replace the 1 TB HD on these system (in fact this was the deciding factor in my purchase of this computer over a iMac), but can the same be done with the msata SSD?  As one can now find 500 GB msata drives for around $300, it is tempting to replace the 16 GB drive with something larger and use it as the system and program drive, while relegating the 1 TB drive to data storage.

9 REPLIES
Provost
Provost
28010 1807 5027
Message 2 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is it possible to replace the 16 GB msata ssd drive on a 27" HP Envy Recline computer?

Hi,

The 27" Recline is a very, very nice AOI.  I have been looking at the 23" model.

I totally understand what you want to do.  I have seen systems where the mSATA can used as an independent boot drive.  I have also seen systems where the solution once worked but then after a BIOS update the mSATA would no longer work even after reverting back to the previous BIOS level.  Whether the mSATA will be recognize by the BIOS as a bootable device is the big question.

This would be a project that even I would like to try just to see if I could get it work.  The more practical approach would be to use a typical SSD without using mSATA.  The removal of the existing mSATA requires that several pieces of the Recline be removed. While the process is not all the difficult it's not for everyone.

There are some questions and situations that come to mind.

Will the BIOS allow the mSATA device to be used as a boot eligible device?

Will the HP external recovery media recognize the mSATA as an eligible load device?

The Windows 8 boot load pointer needs to be changed to the mSATA port.

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on the Recline as a mentioned before so that I could give it a go.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 16GB, 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
pygo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 3 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Signed up to answer this question...since i was wondering myself for a while.

Will the BIOS allow the mSATA device to be used as a boot eligible device?

YES

Will the HP external recovery media recognize the mSATA as an eligible load device?

YES

The Windows 8 boot load pointer needs to be changed to the mSATA port.

NO

Pretty much an easy install.  Unplug HDD, replace msata with drive of choice, install windows fresh or recovery to msata using recovery media.  Optional is to replace the factory drive and use it as a secondary storage drive D:

Tested an Plextor M5M msata with clean install of Windows 7 and looked perfect in Device Manager.

Tested Samsung EVO 840 msata and its my current setup...couldnt be happier.

Currently awaiting Intel AC7260 minipci card to round out the mods.

Best of Luck.

0 Kudos
pygo Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 4 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just like to note that the Intel AC7260 isnt recognized by the BIOS and will NOT work with this machine. 

You will need to flash a hacked BIOS to allow for any wifi cards to be used with the ENVY Recline 23 and 27.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Conceptumator01 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 5 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good morning!  Quick and possibly dumb question that I'm really hoping someone can help me with. My Recline 27 is saying the SSD cache drive has failed and will not boot. Can anyone tell me where this elusive drive is located in the machine and how to get to it?  I find lots of info on what it looks like but nothing about where to find and replace it. Getting really desperate here!  Thanks for any help anyone can provide. 

0 Kudos
HoustonWes Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 6 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Follow to Conceptumator01  My drive is showing up as bad. Are there any intructions on how to replace the 16GB drive?

0 Kudos
Ambiguous_HP Top Student
Top Student
7 0 0
Message 7 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Did you ever find out where this SSD is located.  I suspect in the base.  However, ther are over 12 screws on the bottome with 5 arrows pointing to them.   I removed but the bottome doesn't open.  I don't want to force so I put them back in.  Did you wind up throwing your computer on the grown and cursing HP.  Just kidding on the last part.  But really what did you do to resove this SSD failure issue?

0 Kudos
Conceptumator01 Honor Student
Honor Student
3 0 0
Message 8 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes...the ms

@Ambiguous_HP wrote:

Did you ever find out where this SSD is located.  I suspect in the base.  However, ther are over 12 screws on the bottome with 5 arrows pointing to them.   I removed but the bottome doesn't open.  I don't want to force so I put them back in.  Did you wind up throwing your computer on the grown and cursing HP.  Just kidding on the last part.  But really what did you do to resove this SSD failure issue?

ata drive can be replaced. I found the replacement drive on EBay and purchased two of them in case I had problems in the future.  To replace the drive, you need to open the case of the unit. Lay the computer face down and remove the small access door at the bottom just behind the stand.  DO NOT confuse this with the bottom plate of the stand...there is nothing there for you. You want to remove the back of the monitor section.  You'll find some screws inside, can't remember if there are two or four. After the screws are out, the case will open up easily with some prying along the seam. The drive you're looking for is about 3/4" high and 1-1/2" wide and secured to the main board by two small screws. Remove the screws, unplug the old drive and plug the new one in. That's it. You may or may not have to reinstall the OS.   Good luck!

0 Kudos
SirDurbs Tutor
Tutor
5 1 0
Message 9 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am in the process of doing the same here.  If you follow HP's directions it is rather easy.  The case when you take it off feels like you will break it, but trust the pressure that you will push down on the back of the case while pulling up on the outside.  I could seem rather daunting but its do-able.  Again I felt like I was going to break it.

You need a flat head - star screwdriver to get this case off:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04100400

Once you remove the case by the above link you will see a SILVER plate cover.  You will need to remove the RAM tray to get this case off.  There are 3 screws in it that can be unscrewed with a star screw / flat head, while laying flat on surface if you are looking at the bottom of the unit the ram tray is located to the left, the "motherboard" cover is located to the left as well.  Once you remove that you will see "SCANDISK"  mine happens to be model number SDSA5DK-016G-1006 which is a 16GB mSATA. 

The above comments ensure that you can replace this with a larger mSATA.

Good luck!   thanks to all that posted and commented above and thanks to @

0 Kudos
Chasman17 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 0 0
Message 10 of 10
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I too ordered two from EBay and when they get here plan to become the techno repair person I always dreamed I could be - yeah right.  But I may try - thank you for the links to how to remove the back etc.  I will let you know how it works out.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation