Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Phoenix 850-180ST DT (THIMPHU) PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP Envy Phoenix 850-180ST DR desktop PC custom built in 2015 with a Windows 10  OS and Office 2016 Home and Student.  It has 24 GB RAM with a 512GB SATA 2.5 1st solid state drive, a 3TB 7200 RPM SATA-6G 2nd hard drive, an Intel Core i7-6700 3.4G 8M 65W CPU, and a W10H6 HE 64-bit OS US.   I use a 42" Samsung 6 Series (40)  HD TV for my monitor. 

It came programmed with a 4GB NVidia GeForce GTX 745 graphics driver.  Windows  updates over time have deactivated the driver and replaced it with their basic driver.  I've always been able to restore it, but in the last year, Windows updates have been more invasive.  Two weeks ago, Microsoft seems to have shut the door on the drivers  forever.  In the process, their update ate my Office, too.  My restore points no longer remedy the situation.  The drivers won't update.  Nor will they reinstall.  I've spent the last two days on the phone with four different representatives trying to kill the perverse Microsoft  basic display adapter and it keeps coming back.  We've reinstalled Windows; reinstalled Office; we've run every diagnostic known to man on the GPU.  There are no problems; it's as healthy as the day it was built.  We've done the compatibility troubleshooters, the direct downloads from the websites; spent hours on the phone with Microsoft representatives.  

Does anyone know how to safely destroy the Microsoft basic display adapter and safely eliminate from a computer?  And how to keep it from ever coming back?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
nobody could explain this to you .. ??
If you have no particular problem, you can download the driver from the support page of your computer.
Sometimes directly at nvidia
If windows installs a driver, it is because it is activated, it is normally sufficient to deactivate this option, so that the update is no longer done:
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Prometheus, thank you for your very quick response.  Unfortunately, I went through all those steps in the very early stages.  I'm not sure why my computer information is not showing up, because I input all of it.  It is for a fairly powerful home desktop computer and not for a pocket drive.  Here it is again.  

HP Envy Phoenix 850-180-180ST DT (THISMPHU)PC

24GB DDR4-2133 DIMM (2X8GB +2X4GB) RAM

512GB SATA 2.5 1ST Solid State Drive

3TB 7200RMP SATA-6G 2nd Hard Drive

W20H6 HB 64-bit OS US

Intel Core i7-6700 3.4G 8M 65 W CPU

4GB NVidia GeForce GTX 745

Samsung 6 Series (4) Ultra HD TV (Monitor)

Yes.  This process has been explained ad nauseum and the technicians have tried it dozens of times, as I have.  It doesn't work.  I explained this above.  The microsoft basic display adapter has rendered my monitor practically useless.   We cannot disable it, override it, or uninstall it.  I used these instructions many, many times, along with a half dozen others, and the technicians have taken remote control of my PC and worked on it for hours, but they can't get the Microsoft display adapter to stay uninstalled or inactive.  It won't die.   So, I need to destroy it completely and scrub every shred of its existence from my computer.  I hope that someone there has experience in doing this.  My problem seems to be unique to my particular set up and hardware configuration.  Three certified Microsoft technicians and one certified Adobe technician have told me that HP (the manufacturer) is the only one with the knowledge to remove the adapter from the computer and that the NVidia drivers aren't going to work no matter what we do until we get that beastly thing out of my CPU.  It is ruining my ability to use my monitor and my photo and paint programs.

So, to be very clear, I don't want to uninstall or disable it.  I want to destroy it and scrub it from my computer.  If I can do that, I can get my NVidia drivers to work.  I have, a long time ago, set my computer not to accept the driver updates from Microsoft, but that hasn't worked out very well either.  I may have to look at another operating system as an alternative, but I'd really like to solve it without that.

I have seriously been working on this problem for years.  Until two weeks ago, all the help forums, the self-guided help pages, chat rooms, and solutions had been working.  But Microsoft did an update that finally seems to have wrecked it forever.  None of the fixes will work any more and we have tried everything dozens and dozens of times since that time including reloading the operating system and all of the programs and starting all over from scratch in newly factory built condition and then going through all the steps over and over again.  Still the same result.    

HP Recommended

There is no point in trying to destroy this pilot
For the computer to work, you need at least one display driver!
So if the NVidia driver cannot work, there is a basic microsoft driver that needs to be installed!
It is possible if the disable check for updates has been removed, that this is another problem, and windows installs the only driver that can work.
Just install this driver, and tell me what's going on:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-envy-phoenix-860-100-desktop-pc-series...

I don't know if it's suitable it's one of the most recent on the product page!

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.