Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 25xi
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My monitor will randomly go blank and become unresponsive. The only way I can seem to get it back on is by unplugging the power cable from the back and putting back in. When it goes black the power button remains blue, it doesn't turn yellow like it would when the pc is in sleep. I am not able to press the power button or open any montoer settings. I have tried switching from an hdmi conecction to a dvi connection and I get the same result. It is not a problem with my graphics card because I have a second monitor hooked up that stays on. In windows, the monitor still says it's connected, but the display is blank and I can't do anything. Any idea on how to fix would be greatly aprecciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@SoggyNugget

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

You may use the HP website to check the warranty,

Here's the link for your ease of access: Click here

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@SoggyNugget

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand the monitor goes black followed by becoming unresponsive,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you check if one monitor connected at a time works without these issues?

Have you attempted to reset the monitor?

While you respond to that, here's what I recommend:

Step 1: Checking power

Disconnect the video cable from the monitor and make sure the monitor power cable is plugged into a power outlet.

With the monitor plugged in, press the power button on the monitor. There should be a power indicator light located on the monitor case. What happens to the light?

• If power light remains off when you press the power button, either the monitor is not receiving power or the monitor is defective. Check all of the following items before attempting to service or replace the monitor:

• Make sure the power outlet has power and the power outlet matches the power rating for the monitor.

• Connect the a different power outlet.

• Try a different power cord.

• If the light comes on, the monitor has power. Continue to the next Step.

Step 2: Displaying a built-in on-screen message

Use the following steps to see if a built-in on-screen message displays.

1. Connect the video cable and turn on the computer.

2. Turn on the monitor and wait about ten seconds while the computer starts.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE STEPS AND INSTRUCTIONS.

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

Keep me posted,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried wach monitor sepreataly ,but the problem persists on the same montor. Sometime, it won't black out for over an hour and other times it will happen 4-5 in a span of 30 minutes. The power and video connection seem to be fine. The only way to get the onitor back to normal when it gets in this stats is to disconnect the power and reconncet it.

HP Recommended

@SoggyNugget

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

If you've followed all the suggested steps, reset the monitor as well and yet the issue persists,

I recommend you Contact HP to have this monitor either repaired/replaced:

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Do get back to me as I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, 

That said, If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day Ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried all the fixes but the problem still continues without any sign of when it will happen. Is there any other optons if the warranty of my monitor is expired?

HP Recommended

@SoggyNugget

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

You may use the HP website to check the warranty,

Here's the link for your ease of access: Click here

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, monitor goes black.  Comes back when I disconnect the power supply.  The problem is intermittant and is the same attached to a different computer, using both types of connections.  I am out of warranty.  Is there any solution or the only thing is to replace the monitor...at my cost.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  HP Pavilion 25xi model, out of warranty.  If HP would give an option for a 4K glossy monitor I would buy one as a replacement.  For now all they have in 4K or even 1440p are matte coated displays.

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.