Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP EliteDisplay E243d 23.8-inch Docking Monitor
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi all,

in 2020 I bought the Monitor HP EliteDisplay E243d (23.8") to use with my company laptop while smart working.

Company provided laptop is an HP ELITEBOOK 840 G8.

Monitor and laptop are connected via USB-C Thunderbolt cable provided with the Monitor.

So I do both charge the laptop and send the video signal via the thunderbolt cable, there are no other cables attached/used.

Not sure if this helps but I always a use single monitor configuration, in other words the laptop's monitor if off and I only user the EliteDisplay.

Everything worked fine since few months ago when suddenly the monitor started to disconnect randomly, putting the EliteDisplay in power save mode (orange led+no input signal) and the desktop moving back to the laptop's monitor. 

This is happening randomly: at he beginning I thought it was some weird key combination but after many tried looks this has nothing to do with the issue.

Today, just few minutes ago, the monitor disconnected a first time. So I detached the USB-C and plugged-in again, doing so the EliteDisplay started again to display the desktop again. After few seconds the same process happened.
Finally I removed the USB-C, waited couple of minutes, played a little bit with monitor option, reconnected USB-C and now the situation is stable, the issue did no appear again but I know it's all about time ... within few hours the issue will start again.

I would say that it looks like the USB-C from the laptop is stopping sending video signal while the power still flows from the monitor to the laptop because I don't see the icon of the battery in windows' task bar.

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot this, can anyone help please?
BR,
Evan

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Contacting HP support didn;t really solved even if the operator was very kind.

Googling I found this link, I am trying to follow those steps:

HP Recommended

Downloaded the latest firmware of the monitor here:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-elitedisplay-e243d-23.8-inch-docking-monitor/198...

Followed the procedure twice (first time it failed for unknown reasons).

Now on the monitor menu I can see "FW: IIM151" instead of "IIM111" so I guess something changed.

Finger crossed this will solve, let you know in the following hours.

Another test could be replace USB-C cable.

We will see ...

HP Recommended

Firmware upgrade didn't solved.

I am quite sure that the issue is on the laptop side but being a corporate laptop I can't really do much except troubleshoot.

Any idea how to troubleshoot video signal from usb-c?

Thanks,

Evan

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.