Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 27xq 27-inch Display

I've just got my Xbox Series X and am trying to change the display settings but when i try to change the settings to 1440p and 120hz then it says it can't run it so changes the resolution to 1080p at 120hz or 1440p at 60hz. This monitor has HDMI 2.0 and can run 1440p at 144hz but my xbox doesn't seem to allow it. Is there any reason why this is happening?

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I have the same monitor and it's the same for me.

I think 1440p 120hz isn't supported through HDMI on this monitor - I plugged my laptop to the monitor via HDMI too and it would only give 60hz at 1440p. Which is a bit annoying as I can't see that it isn't supported in any manuals etc and it's one of the reason I chose this monitor...

HP Recommended

Well I think it actually has to do with the xbox itself because im having the same problem with my x27i which is similar to ops monitor they both have hdmi 2.0 which is capable of 1440p @120hz I really dont understand why it isnt working

HP Recommended

I have the same issue, the HDMI can definitely run 120hz at 1440p. I have tested this out on my PC. I wonder if this is an Xbox issue, not sending some sort of input signal over. If you find  solution please let me know, its so frustrating.

HP Recommended

Actually ive dug further through this topic and have found out that the monitor probably doesnt support 1440p @120hz specifically which I had no idea intermediate refresh rate support was something I needed to look in for a monitor im going to sell mine and go for an acer XG270HU apparently it does support 1440p @ 120hz 

HP Recommended

I am in current contact with the microsoft to see if there is a solution, surely it should be able to run at 120hz if its capable of 144hz. I cant be bothered having to send the monitor back haha

HP Recommended

Please keep us updated - unfortunately I've had this monitor for more than 2 weeks so I can't return it.. only option would be to sell it at a loss and go for another monitor or hope it's just a bug with microsoft...

HP Recommended

Also, I contacted HP on twitter to ask them:

Q - Does the HP 27xq quad HD monitor support 1440p 120hz via HDMI? I got the new Xbox today but I can only get 120hz at 1080p and not 1440p?

A - Thanks for reaching out. I'd like to help you with your HP Product. HDMI 2.0 can dual out 4K video without compromise, at 50 and 60 frames per second. But not 144Hz. HDMI 1.4 supports 144hz refresh at 1080p. HDMI 2.0 is for 4k/60hz. The short answer to which is the best type of cable for 144Hz monitors is that Display Port > Dual-link DVI > HDMI 1.3. To display 1080p content at 144Hz, you can use a Display Port cable, Dual-link DVI cable or a HDMI 1.3 and higher cable.

That's not correct, is it?

HP Recommended

To me that doesn't answer your question. You want to know if the HDMI port on the monitor can run 120hz at 1440p

HP Recommended

cc5a2d4f4b918491fa2aa5c0bf766c50

So either it's a problem with the new console/microsoft, or HP are wrong 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.