Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Monitor only has white cursor on solid black screen

HP LV2311 & Pavilion 500-311
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP Model LV2311 Flat Panel Monitor will only display a white cursor on an otherwise black screen. One and a half year old HP Pavilion 500-311 Desktop with AMD Radeon R7 Graphics running Windows 8.1 boots up, but screen is black.  

Problem started immediately after I had updated extremely old drivers, some from 2010 (graphics and/or video, audio, etc.).

Things I have tried in order to isolate the problem:

• I unplugged the power to the monitor and waited 30 seconds then re-connected it and turned it on;

• I connected another monitor and had the same problem;

• I connected the monitor using a DVI cable then a VGA cable and had the same problem;

• I rebooted the Desktop and noticed the power light come on, heard the "C" drive start spinning, saw the drive working indicator light blinking, but never heard a beep from inside the tower;

• When I tap F10 while booting up, the Bios screen does appear on the screen; and

In case an item was changed in the BIOS, such as the primary monitor device setting, use the following steps to reset the BIOS back to its default configuration:

You can use these steps even though you will not be able to see anything on the monitor.

1. Turn on the computer and repeatedly press the F10 key for eight seconds.
    2. Press the Down arrow three times.
    3. Press the Enter key two times. (Except I pressed Down arrow once then hit Enter to restore Factory Defaults)
    4. The computer restarts. (I had to use Down arrow to select Save and Exit for it to restart)
      If the monitor is still blank, continue with the next step.  (Did not work...had the same problem)

Please help asap.

Thank you!

7 REPLIES 7
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 918
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @RodneyB5,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting a blank screen on startup. Happy to help. 

Kudos to your for explaining the troubleshooting steps in such good detail.

Are you using a wireless keyboard or USB keyboard?

Recommend you to do a hard reset again. 

Connect a USB keyboard. 

Turn the computer ON and keep tapping ESC or F10 on startup. 

If you get the startup menu. Please perform a system test on your computer. Click here

If the keys don't respond. 

Do a hard reset again. 

Turn the computer ON while holding Win + B. 

This should rollback the BIOS and resolve the issue you are facing. Click here

Let me know if this helped. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
RodneyB5 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Chimney_83,

Thank you.  I tried your recommendations, but my problem was not resolved.  I eventually reset the Windows 8.1 OS and the problem was fixed.  Unfortunately, I lost all of the software programs I had bought and installed since day one.  But I did not lose my documents, photos, etc.

Thanks again for your time and recommendations.

RodneyB5

0 Kudos
Retired
Retired
8121 8112 483 918
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and glad to hear your computer is working fine again. If you have purchased any 3rd party applications, you would need to contact the application's manufacturer for assistance in getting them back. Please do update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant. Click here

Please click ‘Accepted Solution’ on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the ‘Thumbs Up’ Icon below.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
RodneyB5 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: How can I  determine the complete Model # including the last digit or digits for my HP Pavillion 500-311?

500-311

500-311d

500-311in

500-311nf

500-311ng

500-311no

500-311ns

500-311x

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19004 18962 1239 1989
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @RodneyB5,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you are looking for the exact model number of your PC. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this,

If you are not sure how to find that information, please click here for more information: http://hp.care/2bygf7l

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
RodneyB5 Honor Student
Honor Student
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info, however, below is the portion of my original post that you must have skipped over.  As you can see, I have located the Model #, I just need to know how to find out if " Pavillion 500-311" is the complete model # or if there is a letter that follows that (see possibilities below).  Also, I am curious as to what the letters at the end signify.

Re: How can I  determine the complete Model # including the last digit or digits for my HP Pavillion 500-311, if any?

500-311

500-311d

500-311in

500-311nf

500-311ng

500-311no

500-311ns

500-311x

I hope this clarifies my original post.

Thank you,

RodneyB5

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
19004 18962 1239 1989
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @RodneyB5,

Thank you for replying,

I understand you are looking for the complete model number for your PC. If your are able to boot the computer, I would suggest you download and install HP support assistant on your PC. Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

On the Main screen, you would have all the information regarding your PC, such as Product Name, Serial number and Product number.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any technical assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation