Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core i7 - GeForce MX150 - 1080p
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi.  I am trying to add a second external monitor using a USB to HDMI converter.  It's not working.   Can you help please?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

We need 2 things. 1. The full model number of the laptop and 2. A full description of the device you are trying to use. Generally to convert USB 3.0 to HDMI you need a dock that has DisplayLink built in. If it is USB-C the issue is more complex so I need your exact model number as there are actually multiple kinds of USB-C ports. 

HP Recommended

I cannot locate a model number, but have:

Serial number: [edit] and  Product number: 4KT99UA#ABA

The connector I purchased is a Brisk Links USB to HDMI converter model# AP-8-2, with flat HDMI cable.   

HP Recommended

No reason in principle it will not work. What happens when you lug it in and connect a monitor?

HP Recommended

The monitor with the new brinks connector will not display.  

HP Recommended

Also, when I connect brinks to my other monitor, it will not work either.   One question.....on display settings, should there be three three display options, 2 for the external monitors and 1 for the laptop?  I only have two.  

HP Recommended

Yes you will have 3 displays shown in Display Settings if you have the laptop lid open and 2 external monotors connected. 

HP Recommended

Okay.  Is there a specific USB port I should use for this?

HP Recommended

Any of the USB 3.0 ports should work. It says the driver is built into Windows 10 and I have found that to be true. Have you tried rebooting with the adapter connected to see if it gets picked up on the reboot? 

HP Recommended

I got it to work!   There was an upgrade I was not aware of.   Thank you so much for all of your help!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.