Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
All-In-One PC 20-E014
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Can I use a smart TV for a monitor by coming in through a USB?  Will I have to set up an external monitor through the PC (which has a broken screen)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

felix442

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Others may know different, but my guess is NO.

I am using an external monitor connected via USB -- but I had to install drivers in order for Windows to see it, and to do that, I had to have a working display.

Without a display, I know of no way that you can install the needed drivers.

Also, you can't really use an external display as a replacement for the laptop screen because it doesn't start working until Windows is already loaded, and that is after you have to login.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

felix442

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Others may know different, but my guess is NO.

I am using an external monitor connected via USB -- but I had to install drivers in order for Windows to see it, and to do that, I had to have a working display.

Without a display, I know of no way that you can install the needed drivers.

Also, you can't really use an external display as a replacement for the laptop screen because it doesn't start working until Windows is already loaded, and that is after you have to login.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

I understand, the PC is toast.

I would like to recover the files on the hard drive.  Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

You need to remove the hard drive. See page 15 of the Service Guide here:

Manual

Connect the hard drive to a usb to SATA adapter and then to another computer to scavenge the data you don't want to lose. 

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UT...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.