Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion H8-1205
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP pavilion HP8-1205 need a new graphic card. Which one is compatible?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

NO PC told is it a real desktop or fake AIO. DT.?

no use told, usage is 100% of needs and goals.  dreams of gaming, if yes name one,(AAA$60 titles.) please?

dreams of 4K ?😁

• it has to fit he 16x slot,  and not hit things, I use a ruler. HP does spec, this, heck NO OEM does. (PC end)
  • Some PCs have no 16x slot like AIO.
  • then must not overload the PSU. none told. (watts and pn/ sku)
  • must be tall card if case is tall (wide) or must be short card 64mm if PC is low profile PC.
  • Must not overheat insides of PC.
  • must not be tool long, some cards are 3 fans long and hits hdd cage.
  • must do what you monitor wants (DP, HDMI, DVI,VGA)
  • Must not cause secure boot to fail if used and turned on.

and last if card is over 75watts , it has GPU AUX cable set that is not optional got that, HP does not spec out PSU.

what is HP8-1205??? (wild guess, 800-xxxx model PC? desktop.

• HP.com zero hits
  • www,  zero hits
  • ebay zero hits
  • google zero hits.

post your full model and product ID seen on page 1 of BIOS. that and only that tells what you have,

I can not see it so.... must ask. sorry.

a pure generic answer NO PC TOLD.😎

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Hi, @WoodDragon338 

Looking at the specs and available driver updates, your PC can only be updated to BIOS v7.16.

You would not be able to run any graphics card newer than one of the nVidia GT(X) 6xx or AMD Radeon HD 6xxx cards.

Newer graphics cards require HP consumer class PC's to have BIOS v8.1x or newer in order to work.

HP Recommended

Thank you.

my HP desktop is h8-1021

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You originally posted that you has a HP8-1205.

Since you have a  h8-1021, the above info I posted still applies, except your PC's BIOS only goes up to v7.12.

HP Recommended

Hi

little supplement

The bios version is not your only limit
You have an example here, same motherboard

HP Pavilion Elite h8-1070t Product Specifications and Configurable Options

Must select one of the following options:
  • GeForce GT420 (2 GB)
  • GeForce GT440 (1.5 GB)
  • GeForce GT440 (3 GB)
  • GeForce GTX460 (1 GB)
  • GeForce GT530 (2 GB)
  • GeForce GT545 (3 GB)
  • GeForce GTX550i (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6450 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6570 (1 GB) single bracket; DVI, HDMI, & VGA via adapter
  • Radeon HD 6570 (1 GB) single bracket; DVI, HDMI, DP & VGA via adapter
  • Radeon HD 6670 (1 GB)
  • Radeon HD 6850 (1 GB)

Your power supply is indicated at 300w only, so you cannot install powerful cards.
You would also need to change the power supply, which may not be easy as mentioned on the product page.

Must select one of the following options:
  • 300 Watt
  • 460 Watt
  • 600 Watt

[edit]

for this one :

AMD Radeon HD 6850

Internal 460W (100V-240V)

the other elements should be taken into account, but this gives a little idea

Release date
28-May-2011
anyway if it's for playing recent games, given the age of the computer, drop

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

sorry for typo. 

My PC is HP Pavilion HPE H8-1021. 

HP Recommended

I put in VisionTek Radeon 5450 2GB DDR3 (Dvi-I, HDMI, VGA) Graphics Card-900861, Black/Red which I ordered from Amazon but nothing display or hear a Post beep. Am I suppose to order PCI-E x16 graphic cards? Does it support PCI-E 2.0? I also tried Gigabyte GeForce GT 710 2GB Graphic Cards and Support PCI Express 2.0 X8 Bus Interface. Graphic Cards GV-N710D5-2GL and I can see it stuck at Startup Menu screen? 

Which graphic card will work on my HP Pavailion HPE h8-1021? The list has so many to choose from.

I don't want to spend too much money to upgrade my PC just for Internet Browsing and play simple game 

HP Recommended

I gave you a list of graphics cards which are installed on this type of computer
provided to respect as I indicated it, the required power
Now this type of card may only be found in used / refurbished models, so you may have a defective graphics card!

PCI Express 2.0 16x  

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Hi, @WoodDragon338 

As I posted the other day...no Nvidia cards newer than one of the GT(X) 6xx models would work.

Now you have just found out for yourself that what I posted was true...a GT 7xx or newer card will not work since your PC's BIOS is not v8.1x or newer.

The Radeon HD 5450 PCIe x16 card should have worked in your PC.

Why it didn't, that I do not know.

As  Prométhée suggested above, perhaps the HD 5450 you bought was defective.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.