Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP all-in-one Screen, PIN: 935799-001 part description :TPK Module Prost2 SNW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

History

The problem has been with the computer since I received it.  It does not prevent work, but it is an unnecessary nuisance.  I have tried several times working with support but I end up escalating multiple times then its gets nowhere. After enough time I give up. Yes, I did try the system reset and the problem remains.

The problem is somewhere between the system (OS/BIOS) and the graphics drivers.  It has been noted on several web sites has being there in the past but no solution.  I have also worked with Intel and Nvidia support, they point the finger at HP.

My System:

• HP ENVY All-in-One - 27-b235t
  • Product number:  X6C16AA#ABA
  • Serial number: [private information removed]

And I have a second monitor also HP Envy 27” that I purchased with the AiO system. The Second Screen is connected with HDMI (on the HDMI out port) and is never disconnected or powered off.

Symptoms

After the system has a screen sleep two things happen.  First, the windows move from the second screen back to the main screen on the AiO. Second the system repeats a noise with a sound similar to when a USB device is connected. My previous system was a Lenovo, similar configuration, and this did not occur. 

Other notes:

When EITHER driver (Intel or Nvidia) is updated then the problem goes away for ONE screen sleep. After the second screen sleep it returns.  I do notice that with the update there are registrary  changes made by the installer. 

On waking, the noise stops. The windows have already moved.

It appears to me that when screen sleep starts the system seems to forget the second screen (causing the windows OS to move windows assigned to the second screen back to the primary AiO screen).  Then the graphics drivers checks to see if the second screen is there likely asking the BIOS, then and it says yes the screen is connected so the OS plays the “device attached” tune.  This is a continues process.

Again, I have tried the system reset, make sure all drivers are current, run the diagnostics tools on the drivers with both intel and Nvidia.  Both company support reviewed their analysis tools and the dxdiag and did not see a problem in their drivers.  My intuition is there is a order sequencing bug maybe lin the BIOS that causes the system to believe the second monitor is gone - then everything else follows regular procedure.  Clearly, somewhere the system is setting an indicator that there is no second screen, the driver tests and finds it connected, so it changes (making the noise) and the whole process repeats. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi @condry,

I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region further for assistance.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

and, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.