Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE-510t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I need help installing my new GPU, A Gigabyte AMD R9 390. The old GPU was an Nvidia Geforce 405. The rest of the specs are stock, except for the ram, which is 8 GB of coarsair Vengance DDR3 Ram.

Before installing, I disabled the intergrated graphics, and disabled the geforce 405 in the device manager.

I replaced the old Power supply with an EVGA Super Nova 750 Watt 90+ Gold PSU. I powered the computer on, and everything worked perfectly, except the graphics card. Everything worked on the GPU, the fans were spinning, the leds were lighting up, everything seemed fine. The graphics card would not display video. I have tried almost everything. 

I am aware about the GPU options on this website : https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02682445

But i do feel like the gpu choice should not matter as long as i have a power supply that can power it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Seabass121,

Welcome to the forum!

In regard to your statement:

"But i do feel like the gpu choice should not matter as long as i have a power supply that can power it"

It does matter.

When you looked at the specifications, you were not aware that the GPU options list in the specifications page consisted of only legacy vBIOS video cards.

The Gigabyte AMD R9 390 video card you installed has a UEFI vBIOS and that makes it incompatible with your desktop PC's legacy BIOS.

You have a choice of either upgrading to a newer generation (UEFI) PC or returning the card and sourcing a video card that supports the legacy BIOS of your desktop PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Seabass121,

Welcome to the forum!

In regard to your statement:

"But i do feel like the gpu choice should not matter as long as i have a power supply that can power it"

It does matter.

When you looked at the specifications, you were not aware that the GPU options list in the specifications page consisted of only legacy vBIOS video cards.

The Gigabyte AMD R9 390 video card you installed has a UEFI vBIOS and that makes it incompatible with your desktop PC's legacy BIOS.

You have a choice of either upgrading to a newer generation (UEFI) PC or returning the card and sourcing a video card that supports the legacy BIOS of your desktop PC.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Oh okay, thats a bummer. Thank you so much for the quick reply!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.