Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2390 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Yesterday, I upgraded my OS from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, and left it overnight to install. Today, I checked on my PC and it was stuck in a restart loop with the error "fat file system". I then turned off the PSU and turned it back on, but then there was no display on the monitor when turning on the PC.

Specs:
Motherboard:Joshua-H61 uATX
CPU: intel pentium G640
Graphics card:GeForce GTX 760
PSU: EVGA 700W bronze
RAM: 2x4 Gb DDR3
Case: NZXT Nemesis

Things I have tried to get the monitor to display:
1. Booting with/without the hard drive, and with an older hard drive I had.
2. Checked the cord between the monitor and PC.
3. Tried booting with only motherboard, PSU, CPU, power switch, and 1 stick of 4 gb RAM.
4. Clearing CMOS by moving the pins and removing/putting back the 3V battery.
5. Booting with the 300W PSU that came with the Pavilion.
6. Booting with a different monitor.
7. Tried rearranging the RAM sticks in every possible way while attempting to startup.

Notes:
1. the LED for my keyboard and mouse both worked, but the keyboard keys did not respond, so there was no way to check things like my BIOS settings or attempting to refresh the PC.
2. The CPU would often attempt to restart whenever I force shutdown the PC, but I turned off the PSU by then so it wouldn't restart.
3.the monitor is working properly because I saw the Windows 10 restart message before switching off the PSU.
4. I believe something might have happened to the motherboard, but am not entirely sure which is also why I'm here for assistance.

Thank you to anybody that helps me, I've been trying to fix this problem all day with no success.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

DFang

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

This problem shows how, with MILLIONS of dollars in programming resources, MS can (apparently) NOT build a filesystem integrity check into its Upgrade routine to prevent trying to do an upgrade on a drive that has a corrupted filesystem.

The "solutions" (if you call them that) that have been posted by MS on this consist primarily of telling you to: Boot into Windows and run CHKDSK -- which is done HOW? considering that you can't even get into Windows??

Other folks save said that they solved this problem by disconnecting any other drives that were connected to their PC and rerunning the Upgrade.

This is further complicated by this problem -- the Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your PC due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

However, you have a much worse problem in that your PC appears no longer able to start up, even with everything disconnected -- which certainly DOES point to a motherboard problem.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS on the motherboard?  Yes, I KNOW that the Win10 Upgrade would have nothing to do with this, but it is worth trying.

Also, you said the monitor displayed properly BEFORE the shutdown, but have you tried connecting this monitor to another PC to confirm it STILL works?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

DFang

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

This problem shows how, with MILLIONS of dollars in programming resources, MS can (apparently) NOT build a filesystem integrity check into its Upgrade routine to prevent trying to do an upgrade on a drive that has a corrupted filesystem.

The "solutions" (if you call them that) that have been posted by MS on this consist primarily of telling you to: Boot into Windows and run CHKDSK -- which is done HOW? considering that you can't even get into Windows??

Other folks save said that they solved this problem by disconnecting any other drives that were connected to their PC and rerunning the Upgrade.

This is further complicated by this problem -- the Win10 Upgrade is know to corrupt the Recovery partition stored there by the OEM that built the original machine. This pretty much guarantees that no HP Recovery is going to work: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Video-Display-and-Touch/HP-Recovery-Manager-Blocked-After-Windo...

This means that RESET no longer works on your PC due to your doing the Win10 Upgrade.

However, you have a much worse problem in that your PC appears no longer able to start up, even with everything disconnected -- which certainly DOES point to a motherboard problem.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS on the motherboard?  Yes, I KNOW that the Win10 Upgrade would have nothing to do with this, but it is worth trying.

Also, you said the monitor displayed properly BEFORE the shutdown, but have you tried connecting this monitor to another PC to confirm it STILL works?

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Hi, thanks for the reply! I have tried resetting CMOS, and it did nothing.

Although I've now found an older motherboard lying around and hooked it up to everything. I can conclude that yes it was definitely my motherboard that was the problem and not the monitor, but also the hard drive. I looked up the "fat file system" error I had, and that has to do with a problem in the hard drive. I also hooked the hard drive up to this other motherboard, and now it's stuck in a restart loop with the same error.

Overall, I can see that I will need to replace the hardrive and motherboard, but I can definitely use the older ones temporarily until then.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.