Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 510-P114
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I installed a Evga GE force GT 650 video card in this computer in the PCI slot. Computer will not boot and there is no video. I aslo tried a Zotac video card that worked fine in my other HP computer, but also won't work in this one. Is there any settings that I am missing. Could the 180 watt power supply be to weak to power the card. The fan on the card turns on when the computer is started, but nothing else works. Is the any Bios settings that need to be changed? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I see that your PC came with W10 from the factory.

Did you first go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot before installing your new graphics card?

If not, you need to.

Starting with W8, you have to change those BIOS settings when adding a non-HP video card.

Please see this guide for more info.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

I will add that even if changing the BIOS settings allows the card to work, it will be too powerful for the 180W P/S your PC has.

A GT 640 with DDR3 memory draws 50 W of power, so I imagine a 650 draws even more.  That's pushing it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi,

Is it a GTX 650 ? This card need minimum 400W PSU.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended
No, a GT 650 single slot card. 2gb memory. It recommends a 300 watt ps. I thought the 180 would work. Thoughts? Thanks
HP Recommended

180W definitely is not enough power for this card. The BIOS seems to be set up correctly for use with a discrete graphic card since it works with the Zotac card, so that shouldn't be the problem. PSU definitely seems to be the problem.

Edit: Sorry, misread. I see that the Zotac didn't work either. There is a setting in the BIOS that indicates which graphics card should output video, integrated or discrete. If this is not set up correctly, your video will be put out on the integrated graphics.

If both video outputs (integrated and discrete) are not putting out video when the PC is turned on, that would indicate a lack of power to fully start the PC.

HP Recommended

Hi:

I see that your PC came with W10 from the factory.

Did you first go into the BIOS, enable legacy mode and disable secure boot before installing your new graphics card?

If not, you need to.

Starting with W8, you have to change those BIOS settings when adding a non-HP video card.

Please see this guide for more info.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200/

I will add that even if changing the BIOS settings allows the card to work, it will be too powerful for the 180W P/S your PC has.

A GT 640 with DDR3 memory draws 50 W of power, so I imagine a 650 draws even more.  That's pushing it.

HP Recommended

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. This worked.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Keep an eye on that power supply. 

I really think you are pushing it beyond its limits with a GT 650.

HP Recommended
Ok, I am going to replace the power supply. Thanks again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.