Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
p7-1410
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Pavillion Desktop (p7-1410) is having display issues.  It is only pushing out green pixels according to the HP diagnostic software.  It is constant monochrome green.  In safe mode, the HP logo thru desktop it is all monochrome.   I have connected it through the DVI-I port with both a DVI-A and DVI-I to VGA adapters.  It wasn't functioning on either monitor which had worked before in this setup.  Even tried different VGA cables.  The only hardware option I didn't try was the DVI-D out port from the PC, but don't have an adapter.  

On the software side, it is running windows 10, but came with windows 8.  I believe I had tried a system restore preceding the problem but thought it had worked properly for a while afterward.  Windows updates are up to date.  So are any HP updates to the best of my knowledge.  Same with drivers.  In doing research, the bios might be a bit out of date, but it at least had worked with the setup I have.  

If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate the help.  Other then the DVI-I port going bad, I am at a loss.  I even tried putting an old single slot video card I had lying around to try and bypass it if that was the case.  It didn't connect at all, although I didn't install any drivers.  It might just be too old.  Thank you in advance.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MTK239,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If you continue facing the issue, connect the monitor to a different PC (If possible) and check.

Also, I recommend you boot to BIOS and check whether you are able to duplicate the issue in BIOS.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestions.
1. Bios was upgraded to the latest version I could find off the HP support site. 8.20 up from 8.07. It did not solve the problem. The green pixels are still present in bios mode.

2. Graphics Driver is up to date according to Device Manager>Look for newer drivers. I checked out both HP and Intel and have determined this is indeed the latest driver. The onboard graphics is the Intel HD Graphics 2000. Apparently, it is old enough where it was last supported for Windows 8.1. Again, I am running Windows 10 which could be part of the problem. People have suggested that Win 10 would support it, but I cannot confirm.

3. I have tried several monitors with the PC and the monitors work properly on my other system.

4. When I ran diagnostics, the one that failed was the Video Palette check. The failure ID I got was 60E27X-0009RN-WPTX1F-Q2BL13. It did not give me any explanation or fixes for the problem. Just that I was out of warranty and a link to the parts store.  

I am only seeing a few options left to try. I have a stand alone graphics card I could try installing, but it is probably 12 years old so I highly doubt it is even supported in Win 8/8.1. This would only rule out the DVI-I port being faulty. I had tried installing it once and got no picture at all, nor was it recognized by plug and play. I did not delete the current graphics driver, which I later read was part of the process.  

The other option is to reset the system back to Windows 8.1 and hope that solves the problem. I just made a recovery drive but believe it will reinstall Win 10, which defeats the purpose. I still have the partition with the original system image, but do not know how to restore from that. It can't hurt to attempt this fix first. I can always upgrade back to Windows 10. But I need to know how to do it properly. Under recovery there are several different options, and the ones I explored didn't give me the option to use the partitioned back up.

HP Recommended

@MTK239,

As you have mentioned that you are able to duplicate the issue in the BIOS it confirms a hardware failure and you have also checked the monitor on other computers and it is working fine.

You can follow the steps in the below article to perform a recovery.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03489643

I recommend you contact support and check the available service options for your computer.

Here is how you can get in touch with support.

1)Click on this link – www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you again for your quick response.

I have tried running System Recovery from the recovery manager. Followed the guide video in you last post so I know I have chosen the right options. However it is recovering Windows 10 as opposed to the Windows 8/8.1 installed as OEM. On top of system recovery, I have also tried system reset with the same negative result.

As this system is old, it isn't even giving me a support number to call. It just says warranty expired, ask the community or find a service center near you. So relying solely on solutions I find here.

As the HDD has a partition with the system image, I would think this would be the go to way to do a restore. Yet I haven't been able to find instructions on how to restore from there anywhere online. If the system image was updated to Win 10 when I upgraded, then it is worthless at this point. Please link how to use this partitioned backup for the restore or let me know if it is automatically where the system recovery pulls the data from. If that is the case and I have permanently lost the ability to install the Win 8. I only see two options to get it back on:

1. Order the recovery discs from HP. HP is asking $65 for them. I think that is excessive for discs that were normally included in the system (mine came with none as it was in the partition I can't access). I paid for the software when I bought the computer, and see no reason why I should have to pay again. If you can get them sent to me for free, as an honorable company should, this would be the best way to get this system back to factory settings.

2. Microsoft has downloadable versions for FREE on their site. I haven't run this yet, but if HP fails to support me by sending discs (which should have been sent with the system), I don't see any other way to get Windows 8 back on this system to see if it is a compatibility issue with Win 10 causing these issues. I have seen a number of people's posts with similar issues after a Win 10 update a few years back.

HP Recommended

When you updated to Windows 10, it *should* have left the recovery partition alone. You can invoke the recovery option by tapping ESC when turning on the PC and selecting F11 for recovery. From memory you need to select advanced then HP System Recovery.

If the HP System Recovery option is not there or you get an error when clicking on it, that means Windows 10 has made it unusable.

Honestly I don't think it will make a difference anyway. I think you have issues with the graphics card. Particularly if diags is failing it and it's displaying the pixelation in BIOS.

Adding in a new video card is definitely a cheap fix for it. You could try the card you have, it'll either work or it wont. You won't break anything.

Otherwise, buy a cheap nVidia GT710 card off of ebay or something. Just make sure it has the outputs that you need for your screen.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the alternate recovery instructions. An interesting reoccurring glitch has been that the ESC key on startup will only show the system information page. All navigation is impossible on this page. I spammed the F11 key instead and got to the recovery menu that way. This was the first time any method got me to the sub-menu where I could see/choose the OS being recovered, so thank you for that.   Win 10 is the only option, so I assume the system image behind the partition has been updated from factory settings.

Unless someone knows for a fact that the p7-1410 is 100% incompatible with Windows 10, I am done working on that as a solution.

I am leaning strongly to your conclusion that it is in the bios or hardware. Yesterday I tried booting with the Hard Drive disconnected and the HP logo popped up in all green as it has since this problem started. Logically, that goes a long way to ruling out it being a windows or driver error. Especially since Win 10 did function for a long time with no issues on the system. Since all peripherals work, the only hardware bug I can point to would be a bad DVI-I jack (or something inside the MB).

The graphics "card" in it currently is the onboard intel graphics 2000. I did roll back the drivers to the basic Microsoft ones (2006) before trying the "Jurassic" GPU I have lying around. Upon installation of the card, I got a series of beeps from the system and no output from either the GPU (VGA and DVI-I) or onboard (DVI-I) to the monitor.

Considering all of this, my last attempts are going to be to recover/reset the BIOS to factory settings if possible. I have found several posts regarding this "Joshua" motherboard. There appears to be a manual method by moving blocks back and forth to various pin settings with the system disconnected from power on the MoBo. There is also a "press key option" at start up.

I will try the latter method first unless you have a better suggestion. It should have less impact then changes on the MoBo. The method of manually manipulating boxes on the MoBo I am capable of doing, but what I am seeing doesn't match the diagrams I have found. Labelled BIOS recovery, it has 4 columns with 7 pins and only 1 plastic cover for 2 pins. I have yet to see any info on how to reset the BIOS from here. The other method I found is to reset the CMOS manually to reset the BIOS. It only called out 3 columns/6 pins/2 plastic 2-pin covers and I have found that on the board.

Thoughts, Ideas, Suggestions, and Alternatives to resetting the BIOS would be greatly appreciated from all. If this doesn't fix the problem, I am at a complete loss.

Having been unsuccessful in getting the spare GPU I have to work, I am hesitant buying a new card. If I can pick one up really cheap, I will. There are a lot of people still asking $30-60 for the GT 710.

Thank you again for your input in trying to save this system from the recycling yard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.