Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 23-f319
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Night light won't turn on after installing Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I didn't like the idea of a complete reinstall so I looked for a work around. First I entered "gamma" in the search bar and found I could control the brightness by turning the gamma down using "Calibrate display color". This helped a lot but left me with very dark shadows in pictures and videos. I looked for an app to download and there are many. On the site "Raymond.cc computers made easy" was a list of 10 free tools and a suggestion to try the AMD Catalyst Control Center which is accessed by right clicking on the desktop. Under "Desktops and Displays" I opened "My Console Displays", then "Display Color (Built-in Display)" and found sliders for color hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, and color temperature. Not as simple to use as Night light but it works great. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @mellow3

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the night light issue. 

Let's try these steps -

1) In the search box on the taskbar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, expand Display Adapter.

3) Right-click on the Display Adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer.

Also, try updating the computer using these steps -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates -

1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried everything you suggested. No change. I had also reinstalled the Radeon driver to no effect. The odd thing is that a couple of days ago when I was fiddling around I did something that allowed me to "roll back driver" and that made Night light work OK; then I accidentally hit "Shut down" instead of "Hibernate" and next time I stared up the issue was back. I'm not sure just what I did to be able to access "roll back driver". It seems I may need a previous version of Radeon.

HP Recommended

@mellow3

Download and install the driver from this link.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick response. Unfortunately I got an error message that my operating system does not meet the operating system requirements. I have many gigabytes free. 

HP Recommended

@mellow3

Have you tried to rollback the driver again? If the issue still persists, try re-installing the operating system and check if that works -

1. Shutdown the computer.

2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3. Press F11 once for System Recovery.

4. Choose the Keyboard Layout.

5. Click on Troubleshoot.

6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery.

Note : Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I didn't like the idea of a complete reinstall so I looked for a work around. First I entered "gamma" in the search bar and found I could control the brightness by turning the gamma down using "Calibrate display color". This helped a lot but left me with very dark shadows in pictures and videos. I looked for an app to download and there are many. On the site "Raymond.cc computers made easy" was a list of 10 free tools and a suggestion to try the AMD Catalyst Control Center which is accessed by right clicking on the desktop. Under "Desktops and Displays" I opened "My Console Displays", then "Display Color (Built-in Display)" and found sliders for color hue, saturation, brightness, contrast, and color temperature. Not as simple to use as Night light but it works great. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.