Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 27xw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased a Pavilion 27xw monitor last week and began using it yesterday. I've immediately had this issue where the screen will flicker off and on for a second when I perform certain tasks such as scrolling through twitter. It does it every time I watch a video and close the media player. I know it's a problem with the monitor since I have never had this issue before. I bought this monitor to replace an older one that had failed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi there @ShepardRahl,

May the Forums be with you!  I understand that the display is flickering during some activities.  I am happy to give you a hand with this.

Is proper driver for the display installed from HP Pavilion 27xw 27-inch IPS LED Backlit Monitor?

Also, you should check out: HP and Compaq Flat Panel Displays - Display Quality Issues, which has a section for a flickering display, normally suggesting changing the screen resolution.  HP Products - Changing Display Settings, Background Image, Icons, and Screen Saver (Windows 10, 7)

Please let me know whether that works for you, and if it does resolve your issue, please mark this post as a solution. Kudos would also be appreciated.  

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I already had those drivers installed and the screen doesn't flicker like the one represented in the display quality issues section. When I said flicker I probably used the wrong word. The screen actualy blinks on and off rapidly. 

HP Recommended

try going into your display settings and change the screen resolution to a different setting and see if the same effect occurs. If so, what is likely happening is that the display is auto-switching to a resolution related to the application that is being run.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
HP Recommended

I scaled the resolution down twice then back up to native and it still blinked on all settings.

HP Recommended

I guess the test I proposed was not clear. What I meant was to try switching video modes, and when you apply the change I wanted to know if what immediately happens when you do that, is the same effect you are seeing in some applications.

Some applications force a change in the display mode. Some applications have "ideal graphics" settings for streaming video. Many games can be set to their own screen resolution for that game. A screen may blank out as it changes to the other display mode.

I just wished to verify whether that is what is happening.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I have had problems with the 27xw flickering black when playing videos in Firefox.  I noticed that when the HP display's menu was up, it did not blink on and off with the computer screen rendered behind it.  This led me to discover that the solution is to open the NVidia control panel, go to "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" and change "Content type reported to the display" to either "Desktop Programs" or "Full screen videos".  If that setting is on "Auto-Select (Recommended)" the display blinks off randomly.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion!  I just switched the setting and will have to see if the flickering/flashing occurs.

I don't think there's a problem with the monitor, as it only does it under special circumstances, normally when scrolling through a page that has a lot of images or videos on it.  Doesn't do it for 95% of the time.  Of course the HP techs want top try everything under the sun.  Very ineffective, I ignored their requests.  I knew that the community would figure it out in a fraction of the time.  HP would probably have us all send our monitors in to fix a non-issue.

HP Recommended

i have 2 monitor  a pavilion 27xw and a pavillion 27 xi

the xi never flicker

the xw most of the time  flicker on a :

-netflix video

-web video streaming

-working on some software

this screen flickering all the time ... the other never 😕

any solution ?

HP Recommended

Thanks that one solved my issue !

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.