Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Slimline HP S5 1240d
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Has anyone changed the graphics display card on HP Slimline desktop 1240d?

My current card is AMD Radeon 7450 Hd 1GB. I tried to change it AMD Radeon 6450 Hd 2GB as the prior on is not available in market and specs is same for both in terms power watt.. consumption, etc.

However when the pc was switched on it did not boot and no signal on display. I used another Dell dimension PC to test the 6450 and it works fine on pcie slot. Strange though it did not work for 1240d.

Can some experts shed some light?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

If your PC is running the latest BIOS update (8.20), I can't think of any reason why the HD7450 won't work.

If your PC is still running the older 7.xx BIOS version, that would probably be the reason why the HD 7450 isn't working.

If you have to you should be able to find used but tested and working HD 6450 low profile graphics cards on eBay.

The Dell branded ones should work fine too.

HP Recommended

Hello
sorry I do not understand your answer @Paul_Tikkanen 

"If your PC is still running the older 7.xx BIOS version, that would probably be the reason why the HD 7450 isn't working."
the 7450 is the original card the bios version so shouldn't be the problem here

https://support.hp.com/ro-en/document/c03312854

@VictorWarr  why are you replacing the card, the computer already had a problem, what was it?
can it start without any card installed?

Image of the back I/O ports

• 3 DVI-D
  • 4 DVI-I

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

Yes, sorry about that.  I read the question backward.

There should be no reason why the HD 6450 shouldn't have worked either.

HP Recommended

The 7450 display card keeps going blank during its operation. And on the next boot the display becomes grainy and with stripes of colour. Also the computer displays critical and cannot boot up in normal mode. I have to start in safe mode with the grainy and ugly display.  In safe mode I did try to update the monitor driver with Windows Generic non-pnp. But it does not fix anything.

This was the reason to change the graphics card though.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.