Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 34 34-inch Display
macOS 10.12 Sierra

There are no available drivers to be able to use the embedded webcam on the monitor with a Mac book computer.

I am using the USB-C connector

It's a shame to have such an amazing monitor and not be able to use its webcam.

Thank you for your help.

Best,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Wow, the responses from the HP employees here are completely useless. Acting like they've never heard of this issue. Or maybe they really never have heard of it, which is even worse.

To use the webcam, you need to connect the monitor to your computer using the included USB to monitor cable. Then your computer will be able to detect the webcam.

The colors invert and flicker when monitor's infrared camera is activated. For some reason this is the default. For normal viewing, open Facetime or Photo Booth, go to the Camera or Video menu, and change the selection from HP IR Camera to HP HD Camera. 

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Neuronite

Thank you for joining HP Forums. 

I'll be glad to help you 🙂 

As I understand you want to use the webcam of your HP Envy 34 Monitor with a Mac OS,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Did you know that HP monitors are not supported in a Mac environment as of now?

That said, newer Macs use graphics with VESA modes and can display to most HP LCD monitors. To do this, connect the monitor to the Mac while the Mac is off, and then turn on the MAC.

The monitor should operate at 60Hz. The INF and software for the HP monitor are for Microsoft Windows and cannot be run in a standard MAC OS environment, however, there is no driver support available to utilize the webcam services, etc...

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP monitors are not supported in a Mac environment? That is absolutely ridiculous and this is not listed in the spec sheets on the web sites of different stores that carry your products. I sincerely hope that you can at least to try to fix the webcam issue.

HP Recommended

Hi @bodew10033,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.

Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you,

Yes, the monitor works perfectly with the mac, but hopefully, your development team can work on the web drivers for mac.

Thank you,

Jason

HP Recommended

Dear Jeet - is the incompatibility a hardware or a software problem?

HP Recommended

Just to confirm additional interest, I also would like to request macOS support for the built-in webcam.  The display, microphone, and USB hub all work great, but the camera either doesn't show anything or flickers and inverts the colors.  I specifically picked this monitor over the Samsung CF791 because of the built-in webcam, so it's unfortunate to see this crucial component not work in macOS.

HP Recommended

There is two virtual camera devices for this webcam, IR camera and HD camera, by defauld or  by alphabetical sorting all software uses IR one (with b/w and flicking image), so you have to switch between by yourself in the software.

Example for PhotoBooth:

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 11.18.53.png

Example for FaceTime:

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 11.24.55.png

HP Recommended

Wow, the responses from the HP employees here are completely useless. Acting like they've never heard of this issue. Or maybe they really never have heard of it, which is even worse.

To use the webcam, you need to connect the monitor to your computer using the included USB to monitor cable. Then your computer will be able to detect the webcam.

The colors invert and flicker when monitor's infrared camera is activated. For some reason this is the default. For normal viewing, open Facetime or Photo Booth, go to the Camera or Video menu, and change the selection from HP IR Camera to HP HD Camera. 

Hope that helps.

HP Recommended

Hi Pete - It is very strange that the camera works for some apps but not for others.

Works:

Photobooth

Facetime

Does Not Work:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.