Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Envy 15-ae042no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My envy's (15-ae042no) screen remains black or partly flickering showing the correct screen on start up (backlight fully working). It began after I had been away from the computer a month and at first start up.

I have plugged it in to an external screen with success and the computer seems to function without problems while doing so.

I have also reinstalled graphic drivers without any improvements. 

What could the error be and would it be possible to fix by myself?

Thanks for all sorts of help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Brené To confirm, you are attempting to update the BIOS using the alternate monitor or a flashlight for the dim back-light?

If it's an external monitor working well while the LCD doesn't it indeed is a hardware malfunction,

If its the backlight, please use this step to recover the previous working BIOS instead: click here for steps.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Brené I suggest you check your laptop with an external monitor, so we can identify if that's an issue with the LCD of your laptop or the motherboard,

here's how you can complete the steps:

Notebook connected to an external monitor

1. Connect an external monitor to the notebook. For instructions, see Connecting a Monitor, Projector, or TV (Windows 10, 😎.

2. If the computer screen does not display on the external monitor, press F4 (or the key with this symbol ) until the screen image displays.

3. If an image displays on the external monitor, there might be a graphics driver conflict with the notebook LCD display. With the external monitor connected, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads. Download and install the latest graphics and chipset drivers for your specific computer. If an updated BIOS version is available, see Updating the BIOS for steps to install it.

• If the screen is still black after updating the chipset and graphics drivers and BIOS, the LCD might be defective.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have done all of this except the BIOS step and none of them have worked. But I guess I have to try that step as well 

HP Recommended

@Brené Please do and let me know how that goes.

Thank you and good luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have looked after a new BIOS but can't find any, so I suspect there is a problem with the LCD or I will just have to try download one BIOS manually and install it

HP Recommended

@Brené To confirm, you are attempting to update the BIOS using the alternate monitor or a flashlight for the dim back-light?

If it's an external monitor working well while the LCD doesn't it indeed is a hardware malfunction,

If its the backlight, please use this step to recover the previous working BIOS instead: click here for steps.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Have now tried the provided steps and it didn't help. So it's probably the screen that is broken. 

Thanks for all the help

HP Recommended

@Brené

Since it is a Hardware issue, please contact HP Support for Service Options

Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true and select your Country to get the Contact details for HP Support

Thank you

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.