05-17-2012 12:37 PM
I have an HP Pavilion a1777c desktop pc and i cant get my sound to work. The PC was my dads but he barely used it so he gave it to me. He had used it to record tv shows and such so it was always plugged into the tv. He said the sound issue is cause it's set to HDMI or something like that, cause he had it hooked up to an amplifier. I need to change it back to its original driver for the sound.
I tried everything from the video "5 ways to find software and drivers" that I found on the site but I don't have any of those programs they mention that is supposed to come with the HP. I've been trying to restore the pc to factory default so that the original sound driver returns and also because he has some other stuff that I don't really care to keep.
Any help is greatly appreciated as this has been driving me nuts.
05-17-2012 01:02 PM
You have a couple of options as I see it.
1) Click start in search type Recovery Manager then click on it select Yes on User access control then select I need immediate help then select Driver & application recovery select the wireless driver and install it then restart the unit.
2) Go to device manager and uninstall the driver and restart and unit will install the driver automatically.
3) Try to update the driver from hp.com website steps given below.
Downloading updated drivers from the Internet
To download the latest version of drivers and software files from the HP Support site:
1. Refer to: http://www.hp.com/support
2. Select your country/region.
3. Select Download Drivers and Software.
4. Enter the Product number of your desktop. The software download pages for your desktop are displayed.
5. Download and install the driver and software files by following the instructions on the download pages.
6. Ensure that your system meets the requirements.
"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****
05-18-2012 02:40 AM - last edited on 04-19-2016 09:59 AM by OscarFuentes
(This is for Vista 32bit - if you use another os choose it at the top.)
If it's only the sound and you have hdmi, then check your bios first if the on-board sound is disabled - enable it.
See also this help:
and especially at the bottom:
Step 2: Change the on-board sound setting in the BIOS
05-18-2012 08:43 AM
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium. Currently I am using the HDMI sound that the pc is set to and it works but, of course, I'm still going to try the options both of you have given.
05-18-2012 09:08 AM - last edited on 04-19-2016 09:59 AM by OscarFuentes
Access to the bios is described before step 10.
- Downloading or Updating Software and Drivers for HP Computers
- HP PCs - Sleep and Hibernate Issues (Windows 10, 8)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Black Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP PCs - Error Messages Display on a Blue Screen during Startup or Boot (Windows 10, 8, 7)
- HP All-in-One PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 8)