Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion HP23-Q110NA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

All-in-one Desktop PC: HP Pavilion HP23-Q110NA, purchased November 2015.

Two problems which may be related: (1) On initial boot-up, after about ten seconds the display often goes completely ‘scrambled’, a coloured sinusoidal pattern all over. The only thing possible is to pull out the power plug. If left for a few seconds and replaced, it boots up OK, but takes a long time. (2) The screen brightness sliders have disappeared so I am unable to reduce the brightness. I have gone through the recommended procedure of starting up in safe mode, uninstall the display AMD driver, delete the driver software, then restart and look for updates. This has made no difference. Please advise. Rob Napier

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Me again. If Problem (1) is difficult, put that aside - I can live with that. But Problem (2) the screen brightness issue surely can be fixed. But how? Please help. Rob N

HP Recommended

@Rob_N-6

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the display on your computer and the brightness slider is missing.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you update the BIOS and the graphics driver from the below link and check if it helps.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-23-q100-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series-to...

If you continue facing the issue, then install all the Windows updates (Including optional) and test.

Here is how it is done.

1. Select the Start (Windows) button from the bottom-left corner.
  2. Go to settings (gear icon).
  3. Select the Update and Security icon.
  4. Choose Windows Update tab in the sidebar (Circular arrows)
  5. Select Check for updates. If there is an available update, it will begin downloading automatically.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To The_Fossette

Many thanks for your suggestions. I have done all those. BIOS done, It took two or three goes to find the right Graphics Driver that was compatible. No improvement, so I updated Windows and the option AMD Micro Devices Display. Again, no change to the screen brightness issue. (I don't know whether it has resolved the issue of the squiggly display on boot-up; I suspect that may be a hardware problem.)

Any more suggestions? 

Best wishes, Rob

HP Recommended

@Rob_N-6

I recommend you perform a system restore back to the date when everything on the computer was working fine.

Refer to the below article for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03327545

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To The_Fossette , 

Again, many thanks. That sounded like an excellent idea. However, the earliest restore point of the three listed is only 4 days ago, some while after the problem started (about a month ago). No point in risking going back to that. So that has not worked, sorry. 

Any other ideas? One would have thought it would be a simple problem, but it does seem to be remarkably intractable. 

Best wishes, Rob

HP Recommended

@Rob_N-6

If there are no restore points available then we need to perform a reset on the computer and check.

Refer to the below article for detailed steps.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To The_Fossette 

Thanks. I went part-way down that route (updating Windows), but I baulked at the full reset procedure. It seems I will lose all my self-installed programmes, such as Paintshop Pro which I paid for a couple of years ago.. And I imagine Norton Security, TaxCalc etc. . 

What makes you think a reset will do the job? So far none of the suggestions has helped. (I don't mean just yours  - the standard ones on the help page and on the web. 

Just trying a different AMD graphics driver (AMD UMA). I fthat works I'll let you know. 

Best wishes, Rob

HP Recommended

@Rob_N-6

As we have already tried all the basic troubleshooting steps, the next step is to reset the computer. However, alternately we can try creating a new user profile on the computer and check whether the brightness slider works on the new profile.

Refer to the below article for creating a new profile on the computer.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-a-local-user-or-administrator-account-in-windows-...

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To The_Fossette 

Thanks. I tried a new user profile and got all sorts of changes to the display, still not fully undone, but so be it. It didn't help with the screen brightness, which remains unsolved, and is a real nuisance. 

However, I have found a way to stop the patterned screen appearing on boot-up (original problem No. 1). If I hold down the Ctrl key in those few initial seconds while the HP logo is juggling with its rotating balls, it boots up properly, and reasonably quickly. I thought you would be interested to know. 

But Why Oh Why can't we solve the screen brightness/slider issue? 

Rob

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.