Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 27-b170na Touchscreen All-in-one
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My touchscreen no longer reacts to touch or finger scrolling. Since installing the new system 14 months ago, there has been no problems, but over the past two weeks and following Window updates the screen has failed to react. Curiously the entry under the Pen and touch section reads ' no pen or touch is available for this display',

What has changed?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@PJ80,

Welcome to HP Support Community,

Perform a Hard reset on the notebook: Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

The best way to identify if this is either a hardware or a software issue is by checking if the Touch is working on BIOS screen

(Accessed by tapping on F10 while restarting the computer). 

If it works on bios, it's a software issue: I would suggest here is to Run Windows Updates troubleshooter -

Download and install the troubleshooter from this link.

Now try to perform Windows Updates - 

1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

If the issue still persists, I would suggest here is to reinstall the display drivers, along with this I would suggest here is to update the Bios and Chipset drivers from our HP support website, using this link.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

Install the Touchscreen Firmware for AIO Pavilion 27 - Click here to download and install it.

If the issue persists, Attempt to run a test using the HP hardware diagnostic tool

The touchscreen test can be reached by following the below steps:

NOTE: If the touchscreen test option is still absent then please download and install the HP UEFI Hardware Diagnostics menu via this link.The laptop needs to be restarted once the installation is complete. Then you may once again try to run the hardware tests.

• Shutdown the laptop.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

• On the main menu, click Component Tests.

Figure : Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

Selecting Component Tests from the main menu

• The Component Tests menu displays. Your Component Tests menu might be different, depending on the components installed on your computer.

Figure : Sample list of Component Tests

Sample List of the Component tests

• Inside the component test, you should see an option for the Touch Screen Test - Quick interactive test to determine if the touch screen is functioning correctly. To run the test, click Touch Screen, and then click Run once.

Alternatively, I would suggest you go through the steps suggested in the support document for - HP PCs - Troubleshooting Touch Screen Issues (Windows 10, 😎

Let me know how it goes!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your very extensive reply but unfortunately my problem has gone beyond the touchscreen to the problem of  having considerable difficulty in going beyond the HP logo on booting up Windows.

I have been talking to somebody in your Support team who has taken me through many of your suggestions. but I feel I am in a Catch 22 situation in that whenever I download the latest version of Window 10 or load the lastest BIOS version, the usual rebooting action on installation fails to work and I am then spending a vast amount of time trying to reboot ( generally 15 to 20 attempts at switching on and off  the power). For no apparent reason it will suddenly fire up Windows and I have to put it in 'sleep' mode to bypast the extensive booting process. Obviously when it does reboot the updates have been lost.

Additionally I cannot go into safe boot mode because my wireless keyboard does not seem to respond outside Windows, so the constant tapping of 'esc' or 'f2' fails to work and the holding of windows key together with C (CMOS) or B (BIOS) and power also fails to work. On the odd occasion it has got into the Bios screen but I cannot activate it because the keyboard is dead outside Windows.

I have also tried resetting back to an earlier date but again come up to the problem of the reboot.

My case number on your system is 5027805085 and the computer is HP ENVY 27-b170na Touchscreen All-in-One

I have obviously got to tackle the reboot before the touchscreen problem, although they may be connected if it is a corrupt BIOS problem.

HP Recommended

@PJ80,

Let's run an extensive system test from F2(Please remember to capture the Failure ID for further assistance).

Depending on the test results, If the test passes, I would suggest you contact our HP support team to order a set of recovery media for your PC.

HP support team can be reached on www.hp.com/contacthp

Let me know the outcome!

Thank you.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.