Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion 590-P0050
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I Know nothing about hooking up two monitors - before I shop for a 2nd Monitor, I want to know something about it.  The plan is to use a 2nd monitor in vertical orientation for seeing larger images without having to scroll up and down.

The PC that HP sold me in late 2018 DOES NOT HAVE A DISPLAY PORT!  It has HDMI and VGA - Isn't VGA ancient, wouldn't it be slow, or lack band width?   I have already got conflicting information from two HP sources.  The guy at HP Smart Friend just told me I can use a split cable from the single HDMI port to run two monitors.   That doesn't sound right.  Where-as a post on this site for an earlier 570pc said you had to use both the HDMI AND VGA  to run two monitors.

What about USB 3.1?  Can you run a monitor with that? 

Thanks, Sam-Sam

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@Sam-Sam-44 

Its specs

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c06000982

It has following ports at its back

• (1) VGA port
  • (1) HDMI 1.4/HDCP 2.2
  • (1) USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type-A port
  • (5) USB 2.0 Type-A ports
  • (3) Audio ports
  • (1) RJ-45 port

You can connect 2 monitors using 2 ports above. Note HDMI and VGA natively, no conversions.

If you need more, you can add a video card to your machine and it will automatically disable 2 ports above. Please note your machine only has 310W PSU.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

This answer has not helped me.  More than a month and I am still stymied and not shopping for a 2nd monitor because of the inadequacy of the answer.  I cannot believe I'm being told to use an ancient analogue connection for a 2nd monitor, on a barely 2 year old computer!  And you gave me NO assurance about why this is or how much, or not,  the display quality would be reduced by having to go through analogue.

I said from the front I don't know about computers, and a little elaboration would have helped.  Was I that stupid to go the local big box store and buy a $500 plus desktop computer and ASSUME it would have adequate, modern connections to hook up a 2nd monitor?  Just giving me specs does not half answer the question.  

HP Recommended

@Sam-Sam-44 wrote:

...  I cannot believe I'm being told to use an ancient analogue connection for a 2nd monitor, on a barely 2 year old computer! ..

@Sam-Sam-44 

Well, that is your belief. I can't do anything about that.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

I am fed up.  Since you have not reassured me about adequate options for connecting two monitors in the HP computer I was sold, please tell me where to address a complaint to HP, or a forum to discuss this confusion and frustration where there are more reply's than the single, narrow one you gave. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.